• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Heartland & Our Neighbors (October 17-19 )

MatthewB

Um, hi everybody!

I'm brand new to eGullet, but Alex found me and pointed out this event to me. I'd love to come along, if y'all will have me. I'll be driving in from Ann Arbor and can only make it for the Saturday night dinner.

I know I don't have a history of posts here, but if you'd like to know a little more about me, you can check my blog for some background.

If that doesn't scare everyone off, then I look forward to meeting you all in a few weeks!

I'm brand new to eGullet, but Alex found me and pointed out this event to me.

Welcome, mitten. A friend of Alex's is a friend of ours.

(Um...you do understand that you're going to be in for some serious gastronomic deparavity, right? :rolleyes: )

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Updated attendee list . . .

Myself & SO

Alex & spouse

guajolote & flaca (Friday; kids & parents on Saturday)

fresco, spouse, & daughter (Friday)

Aurora (Friday)

maggie & Mr. Handsome (Friday)

Lady T (Friday)

Fresser (Saturday?)

nightscotsman (Saturday?)

col. klink (Friday?)

NeroW, Boy, & Hobbit (Saturday?)

tammylc (Saturday)

mitten (Saturday)

PastryLady (?)

RheaS (?)

Edited for feedback below.

Edited by MatthewB (log)

So many people I'm longing to meet, and to hang with again.

BTW, pending Lady T.'s employer, Aurora, HH, Sue and I should be there for Friday dinner.

That, and of course, pending delays due to overturned semis through the Indiana leg of the trip. :angry:

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

:cool:

I and my bag will depart work at noon on Friday the 17th, or whatever hour is needful, to rendezvous with the Maggie and HH for the trip. A quick cell-phone call to the desk when the Warrenville Two are approaching should allow me to run downstairs and leap into the back seat without risk of a traffic ticket. If I'm really lucky, I'll be able to do this without my favorite micromanager clinging to my ankle all the way down the stairs, crying, "Sue -- Sue -- just one more revision...!"

:raz:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Questions re Friday dinner:

1) I made a reservation for 7 p.m. -- OK? (Dissenting posts only; silence = agreement.)

2) I've been discussing a set prix fixe menu with the chef, as I think it gives us a better value for the money. OK?

3) If we do a set menu, are folks ok with a seafood theme (e.g., Seafood Minestrone, salad, Salmon in Phyllo with Saffron Sauce, Peaches in Port)?

An updated arrival list:

Friday: Matthew & SO, Alex & spouse; guajolote & flaca; fresco, spouse, & daughter; maggie & Mr. Handsome; Aurora; Lady T; col klink

Saturday: NeroW, The Boy, & The Hobbit; tammylc; mitten; Fresser?; guajolote's parents & kids?

Still waiting to hear: PastryLady; RheaS

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Count me (us) in for Saturday, as you said.

Taking the Amtrak from Chicago to Kalamazoo on Friday. Boy has jury duty, and what with my early evening arrival in Kalamazoo, the jury duty, etc., there's little chance of us making it to Grand Rapids in time for Friday's dinner. :sad:

What are we doing on Saturday? This thread is long and confusing! Whom should I PM for details?

Noise is music. All else is food.

I can't make it to Grand Rapids. I just came back from vacation and another person in my department just went to Singapore on vacation, so I'm swamped with work. I've been home almost a week and I have yet to unpack!

I can't make it to Grand Rapids. I just came back from vacation and another person in my department just went to Singapore on vacation, so I'm swamped with work. I've been home almost a week and I have yet to unpack!

Too bad. We'll make a toast (the wine version, not the bread one) for you.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

:sad:

We'll miss you, Rhea.

And we'll look forward to your posts on your meals in Singapore. Well, after you unpack, that is!

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Poorly worded sentence on my part. I, unfortunately, only went to Vancouver for my so-called vacation. No meals worth mentioning. My only real food trek was to Sen5es bakery/pastry shop and was very disappointed. The chocolates (box of 18, tiny and expensive) were stale and the stilton cheesecake with rhubarb sauce was a bit bland (Ronnie's cheesecake from the paella party was MUCH better).

Enjoy your trip to Grand Rapids -- You were lucky not to have picked this weekend--it is nasty out here--next week promises better weather. Have fun -- I'll be working just down the street from the restaurant that night and can't join you, unfortunately.

Edited by lafonda (log)

Enjoy your trip to Grand Rapids -- You were lucky not to have picked this weekend--it is nasty out here--next week promises better weather.  Have fun -- I'll be working just down the street from the restaurant that night and can't join you, unfortunately.

We're getting together Saturday at Matthew's for a big party too, can you make it then?

Food Question:

Matthew and I calculated that 1 prime rib would not be enough, so we need to decide something else to cook.

Ideas:

Leg of Lamb

Pork Butt

Goose

Couple o' Ducks

Anyone else have an idea?

Please state your preference.

Welcom to eGullet, lafonda! Great to have another GRapidian here.

As guajolote said, we'll be getting together for a party/dinner on Saturday, starting somewhere around 4 or 5 p.m. It would be great if you could make it. There'll also be some sort of yet-to-be-determined activity or activities during the day, most likely including a hayride (weather permitting).

Please feel free to keep posting or to send me a PM (personal message) if you have any questions.

Food Question:

Matthew and I calculated that 1 prime rib would not be enough, so we need to decide something else to cook.

Ideas:

Leg of Lamb

Pork Butt

Goose

Couple o' Ducks

Anyone else have an idea?

Please state your preference.

Leg or butt.

Or pork loin.

I third the leg of lamb -- lamb is always good.

On that Friday, I was planning on visiting a Pakastani butcher that Guajolote mentioned where they have all sorts of live animals like chicken, duck and geese ready for purchase (they clean and dress the animals as well). How about I bring a duck or a goose to smoke?

Really, goose isn't that hard as long as you have a thermometer and you pull the breasts off at medium rare, then throw the legs back on. We could have an egg throwing contest to see who gets to take the carcass home. :raz:

We could have an egg throwing contest to see who gets to take the carcass home.  :raz:

Thanks, Matt.

I'm headed outside to start practicing right now. :cool::unsure::wacko: :splat:

Looks like we're starting to pull together the meat portion of our Saturday evening meal.

Anyone have any input as to the rest of the meal?

Gualojote provided the excellent suggestion that folks head off to the farmer's market in the AM & that we put together some dishes from those purchases.

Will this be enough or should we also have some pre-planned dishes other than the meat?

Looks like we're starting to pull together the meat portion of our Saturday evening meal.

Anyone have any input as to the rest of the meal?

Gualojote provided the excellent suggestion that folks head off to the farmer's market in the AM & that we put together some dishes from those purchases.

Will this be enough or should we also have some pre-planned dishes other than the meat?

I'm thinking about what might be available at the market: potatoes (regular and sweet), winter squash, kale and/or swiss chard, the last of the tomatoes, peppers, and peaches (if we're lucky), apples, pears, ..... I suspect we'll have enough to eat, especially if we can supplement from Russo's, Erika's, Kingma's, etc.

As I mentioned earlier, I can make my award-winning butternut squash soup plus a dessert, or anything else we may need.

I'll be posting soon about our options for Saturday activities (other than shopping and cooking :raz: ). The only decision that's shouldn't be left until that day is the hayride because a reservation is advised. I'll post more details about this as well.

Edited by Alex (log)

I'm thinking about bringing a few sheet pans of hot apps that we can pop in the oven to feed the starving masses.

That way I won't be jostling for burners with everyone at the last minute.

Noise is music. All else is food.