• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Heartland & Our Neighbors (October 17-19 )

MatthewB

Figured it's time for a summary post of where I understand this is at . . .

Myself & SO

Alex & spouse

guajolote & flaca (kids & parents, too?)

fresco, spouse, & daughter

Aurora

maggie & Mr. Handsome

Lady T

Fresser

nightscotsman

col. klink

NeroW

RheaS (?)

tammylc (?)

Did I miss anyone?

Also, I'm trying to determine who will be here for dinner on Friday evening & who will be at the house party on Saturday. Please post here or PM me.

Once that's figured out, we'll move onto food for Saturday, etc.

Am I missing anything?

:biggrin:

In the name of my workload, I should at least put in an appearance on Friday morning, to avoid the sh*tload that will otherwise grace my desk on Monday. In my workday frenzy, I've misplaced the train schedule. What time will the train be leaving?

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Wha hoo!  Is the lovely Batgrrl coming too?

Alas, no. My lovely bride will have to stay home, she has to work. :sad:

And she's very bitter about it.

"Shameful or not, she harbored a secret wish

for pretty, impractical garments."

Barbara Dawson Smith

*Too Wicked to Love*

I'll ned to track down Aurora and Lady T on this one, to see when they can get away on Friday afternoon.  Ladies?  Speak up.

I'm a lady, but not those ladies.

Matthew, you missed my companion, the Boy. And perhaps one other companion--my excellent (and lurking) friend, whom we call the Hobbit. She lives in Grand Rapids.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the Boy and I won't be there in time for Friday night festivities (plus, we won't have seen each other in two weeks by that time :blush: , and I don't want to gross any of y'all out).

But Saturday, bright and early as I can drag his ass out of bed.

He told me he was coming along, so he'd better be. :hmmm:

And even if he ain't, I is.

Noise is music. All else is food.

We'll send a care package home Professor.

Hopefully I won't eat it all on the way drive home. :biggrin:

When do the Friday night festivities start?

I'll be driving down from Duluth and I'll be going through Chicago. How long is the drive from Chicago to Grand Rapids? Depending on when I have to leave the Good White North, I can take folks as well. I'm driving a fat Chrysler that very comfortably seats 4 and somewhat comfortably seats 5.

I'd like to get there by Friday night. However, if driving all that distance is going to be too much in one day, I'm thinking of splittling the drive and spending Thursday night in Chicago, anyone free for something on Thursday night or Friday? Hell, if I can be persuaded, I'll split up the drive anyways. :cool:

We'll send a care package home Professor.

Hopefully I won't eat it all on the way drive home. :biggrin:

When do the Friday night festivities start?

I'll be driving down from Duluth and I'll be going through Chicago. How long is the drive from Chicago to Grand Rapids? Depending on when I have to leave the Good White North, I can take folks as well. I'm driving a fat Chrysler that very comfortably seats 4 and somewhat comfortably seats 5.

I'd like to get there by Friday night. However, if driving all that distance is going to be too much in one day, I'm thinking of splittling the drive and spending Thursday night in Chicago, anyone free for something on Thursday night or Friday? Hell, if I can be persuaded, I'll split up the drive anyways. :cool:

Friday night dinner time hasn't been set yet -- depends on who's arriving when. Could be any time between 6 and 8ish, I imagine.

Last I knew, Fresser and nightscotsman were going to carpool here on Saturday. Perhaps they could be persuaded to join you, or vice versa, on Friday afternoon. It also looks like maggie, Lady T, and Aurora might be leaving on Friday as well.

If you depart pre- or post-rush hour, and try to not attract too much attention from our alert MSP troopers (less than 10 over the limit *usually* is ok, but keep it less than 5 over in construction zones, and merge well ahead of time if there's a lane closure), Chi-GR can easily be done in 3 hrs, although 3½ is not unknown. It also depends where in Chicago you're leaving from, of course.

The more the merrier on Friday! We'll just need a reasonably reliable head count when Matthew and I talk with Joe Pagano (of the restaurant we'll be going to). We also need to finalize housing arrrangements before too long.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I'd like to get there by Friday night. However, if driving all that distance is going to be too much in one day, I'm thinking of splittling the drive and spending Thursday night in Chicago, anyone free for something on Thursday night or Friday? Hell, if I can be persuaded, I'll split up the drive anyways.  :cool:

I'm in

I'd like to get there by Friday night. However, if driving all that distance is going to be too much in one day, I'm thinking of splittling the drive and spending Thursday night in Chicago, anyone free for something on Thursday night or Friday? Hell, if I can be persuaded, I'll split up the drive anyways.  :cool:

I'm in

Me too!

I'll be driving down from Duluth and I'll be going through Chicago. How long is the drive from Chicago to Grand Rapids?

Klink, as a newbie to MN, I advise that you can very easily drive 9-10 over the speed limit in the Land of 10,000 Lakes (even faster on the 35 trek between Duluth and Twin Cities). Stick to the speed limit in the Dairy State; they are not so forgiving.

And, damn, I'd like to share driving with you, but it's a no-can-do weekend.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I'm in

I'm in.

Noise is music. All else is food.

I'm in

I'm in.

Does that mean that klink, nero + boy, guajolote, and nightscotsman are driving together on Friday? Or were those "I'm in"s about getting together in Chicago? Or both?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I ran this idea by Matthew and he liked it:

What do you think about making the party a kind of Eric Ripert "Return to Cooking" group project. We could all go to the Farmer's Market, pick out the best ingredients, and then come up with a collaborative menu? Maybe everyone could bring a favorite cookbook for ideas? After the menu is planned some people could go to Russos and do wine pairings.

What do you think about making the party a kind of Eric Ripert "Return to Cooking" group project. We could all go to the Farmer's Market, pick out the best ingredients, and then come up with a collaborative menu? Maybe everyone could bring a favorite cookbook for ideas? After the menu is planned some people could go to Russos and do wine pairings.

This sounds like great fun. We do something similar around here - everyone brings whatever random ingredients they happen to have on hand, and we turn it into dinner. We've come up with some suprisingly awesome meals that way! We call it "Playing Random Ingredients."

Your proposal sounds similar, but more structured. I like it.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

This sounds like great fun. We do something similar around here - everyone brings whatever random ingredients they happen to have on hand, and we turn it into dinner. We've come up with some suprisingly awesome meals that way! We call it "Playing Random Ingredients."

Your proposal sounds similar, but more structured. I like it.

I forgot to say that I'm looking forward to meeting you Tammy, and that I stole the idea from Andy Lynes.