• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Heartland & Our Neighbors (October 17-19 )

MatthewB

We'd love to have you, Rhea. Please make it if you can.

And so to Friday evening . . .

Dinner out? Dinner in?

Drinks out? Drinks in?

Help me as here are the choices . . .

A. Drinks in/Dinner out/Drinks in

B. Drinks in/Dinner in/Drinks out

C. Drinks in/Dinner out/Drinks out

D. Drinks out/Dinner out/Drinks out

E. Drinks out/Dinner in/Drinks out

F. Drinks out/Dinner out/Drinks in

Or create your own choice or tell me to fuck myself or whatever.

Tell me something good.

We'd love to have you, Rhea.  Please make it if you can.

And so to Friday evening . . .

Dinner out?  Dinner in?

Drinks out?  Drinks in?

Help me as here are the choices . . .

A.  Drinks in/Dinner out/Drinks in

B.  Drinks in/Dinner in/Drinks out

C.  Drinks in/Dinner out/Drinks out

D.  Drinks out/Dinner out/Drinks out

E.  Drinks out/Dinner in/Drinks out

F.  Drinks out/Dinner out/Drinks in

Or create your own choice or tell me to fuck myself or whatever.

Tell me something good.

Go fuck yourself lawnmower boy :wink:

I vote for A.

Edited to add:

Tell me that you love me

I never knew that Stevie write that song.

Edited by guajolote (log)

Any of the above. If Dinner In, then where?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

If we go out on Friday I would prefer to spend less than 25-30 pp including beverages. We really need to know when everyone is coming, though.

Here's one vote for dinner out at $25 to 30 (or less) per person with beverages included.

Others?

Am I save to assume beverages at 2 glasses of wine? Or what?

Also note Mr. G's plea about who & when for arrivals. :wink:

Any of the above. If Dinner In, then where?

After further thought, and consultation with my Inner Chef, I vote for dinner out -- too many logistical hassles otherwise. I think that $25-30 pp is doable.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Am I save to assume beverages at 2 glasses of wine?  Or what?

3 cocktails and 8 glasses of wine for me.

Me too.

That list of choices was the most confusing thing I ever saw, so, I'll just go along with what everyone else wants to do. :smile:

Noise is music. All else is food.

No heirloom apples to speak of, though. For those driving to/from Chicago, though, check out this place.

Sorry -- I mistyped the URL for the heirloom apple place. It's here.

I've never heard Grand Rapids called "Offbeat" before, but hey....

I'll get the ball rolling -- look out everyone, I'm coming. I haven't figured out the timing though.

Wha hoo! Is the lovely Batgrrl coming too?

HH and I will be attending. Last I checked our back set was to contain Lady T and the Mod with the Mostest.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Nero and Maggie -- Friday or Saturday? If Friday, in time for dinner, I hope.

Another reason to come to Grand Rapids (from today's Grand Rapids Press):

"McDonald's Corp. hopes a new addition to its premium salad line will be a hit with customers in several test markets, including Grand Rapids.

"McDonald's restaurants in Grand Rapids, Detroit, Indianapolis, Tucson, Minneapolis and Las Vegas were chosen as test markets for this week's planned roll-out of the new Del Rio salad.

"Similar to a taco salad, the new item will join the restaurant's line of premium salads...."

:wacko:

Nero and Maggie -- Friday or Saturday? If Friday, in time for dinner, I hope.

Still being hammered out. I will let you know when I know. And ASAP.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Another reason to come to Grand Rapids (from today's Grand Rapids Press):

"McDonald's Corp. hopes a new addition to its premium salad line will be a hit with customers in several test markets, including Grand Rapids.

"McDonald's restaurants in Grand Rapids, Detroit, Indianapolis, Tucson, Minneapolis and Las Vegas were chosen as test markets for this week's planned roll-out of the new Del Rio salad.

"Similar to a taco salad, the new item will join the restaurant's line of premium salads...."

:wacko:

That takes care of Friday night dinner.

Yumm