• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eight Over Eight

Will Ricker, owner of e&o in Notting Hill has opened up Eight Over Eight (meaning "lucky forever" according to a Chinese proverb) in the Kings Road. He has roped in former I-Thai chef Neil Whitney to dish up a mix of South East Asia cuisine, emphasis on Shanghai it says here ("here" being the Network London PR bumph). Dim sum will also be a feature. The menu is reporoduced here for your delectation.

Interior is by Chris Connell with walls of half pale lime-washed oak and half dark rich oak. Booths and chairs are dark brown leather, silk lamps and bamboo abound.

In the world of restaurant PR it does. Exact quote, describing all of Will Rickers restaurants says : "...food which spans South East Asia with an emphasis at Eight Over Eight on China and, in particular, Shanghai".

According to Encarta -

"South East Asia, region of Asia comprising the Indochinese and Malay peninsulas and several nearby island groups. The region is bordered on the north by China; on the east by the South Pacific Ocean; on the south by the Indian Ocean; and on the west by the Indian Ocean, the Bay of Bengal, and the Indian subcontinent.

Microsoft® Encarta® Encyclopedia 2003. © 1993-2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved."

Shanghai is in Eastern China so it seems you are correct that they are incorrect. Well done sir!

I always think of S-E Asia as being a little further down: Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Laos, Burma etc. This is especailly true when I think of it in food terms.

This sounds like a Chinese restaurant with a hint of South-East Asia!

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Doesn't seem to have much of any sort of identity to me. All a bit mixed up isn't it? Not that that is to say it won't taste good, but the menu alone doesn't make me want to rush to make a booking.

Any idea where you can get good Shanghai food in central London?

Sorry, Andy, the only reason I looked at the thread was the 808 reference. I own a German thingy, non-Roland - the 309. Sounds lovely. The thing is, the 808 is retro, not a kicker..................

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

Just a pie and mash stand in Warrington. The "808 Plate" is their biggest seller I believe.

Of course, Pacific State (one of their best records) was a coded reference to the, at the time, little known "Pacific Rim" style of cookery.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

I thought 8 over 8 was dreadful. I went for lunch this week and, while I was not expecting it to be my new favourite restaurant, was very disappointed. The food was ordinary, and in places really bad (chicken teriyaki with sticky rice - tepid, floury chicken with unsticky rice). The decor was unremarkable, and prices high. While I have no doubt that this restaurant will do ever so well, luring the eurotrash out of places like Henry J Beans and Babushka House, to an establishment where they can be truly superficial and spend more cash, it is not for me!!