• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: OTOH: How to Cook a Wolfe

Fat Guy

Golly, gee whiz: doesn't anyone remember that Archie had a photographic memory, and didn't have to write down recipes? and that those long-cooked "sunshine eggs" was a recipe to keep grade five girls out of trouble for forty minutes?

Golly Gee Whiz, Daddy! Your post number One! Wha hoo!

Actually, I had forgotten about the photographic memory part, but you are, as always, right.

And yeah, the Sunshine Eggs kept me out of trouble for at least that long!

(My Daddy. The Best.)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

So maybe I should start a scrambled egg thread, but this seemed to fit in fine right here.

I received today, courtesy of Amazon, an out-of print copy of the great Curnonsky's "Larousse Cuisine et Vins de France." His take on six scrambled eggs?

6 eggs

7 T. butter

s and p

For a creamier result, reduce the butter to 5 T. and add 2 T. creme fraiche.

Spread half the butter over the bottom and sides of a heavy-based saucepan. Cut the other half into small pieces.

Beat the eggs, s and p lightly. Don't let them froth.

Pour the mixture though a seive into the buttered saucepan, off the heat.

Cook slowly, over low heat so that as the egg starts to set it is mixed back into the uncooked egg.

Gradually add the pieces of butter, removing the pan from the heat in order to heat the eggs as slowly as possible. If you are using only butter and no cream, reserve a piece of butter to be added at the last moment.

When the mixture has become creamy, remove it from the heat and add either the creme fraiche or the reserved butter. Serve immediately.

Cooking time: Twenty minutes.

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Ok... I am going to try this but I have two questions...

What size saucepan?

"so that as the egg starts to set it is mixed back into the uncooked egg"

Does this mean that you are stirring? Slowly and gently maybe?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Ok... I am going to try this but I have two questions...

What size saucepan?

"so that as the egg starts to set it is mixed back into the uncooked egg"

Does this mean that you are stirring? Slowly and gently maybe?

Of course, nothing as useful as saucepan size is given! I'm thinking a heavy one quart number would work well.

Yes, slow, gentle stirring. And fifi: please let us know how they turned out!

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Maybe we should start a scrambled egg thread. :biggrin:

If I get to try this in the next few days (busy weekend) I will try it and start one. I think it would be lost here. I've got the right pot I think. It seems to me that the depth of the egg should be balanced with the width to promote even cooking. My only snag is that I am currently working with a lousy apartment electric stove. But it is rather weak so I should be able to carry it off.

Any chance of you guys doing any more Nero Wolfe? That was really a kick. And timely, since I am currently working my way through the books. Thanks for all of your work.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Any chance of you guys doing any more Nero Wolfe?

Thank you very, very much, but no...we'll probably choose another subject for the next OTOH.

And seriously, report back from your egg scrambling activities and Start That Thread.

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

:wink:

Hm. For your next week's conversation I should then draw Dave's and your attention to the Robert Parker series of Spenser novels, in which food figures prominently.

Not a hint or anything, oh heavens no...

:raz:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Well, I am SO preparing Duck Mondor, just as soon as the temp drops below the 100ish-degree range. It was even too hot for the trad Bastille Day duck, and I missed it so.

Ongoing for like, years, in my cooking is an informal exploration of Rich-Upon-Rich ... it is unfailingly surprising, as D. the C. found after girding his loins and going ahead with the saucing and cheesing of the already-toothsome duck. Sometimes when something is rich, something ELSE rich is just the thing.

I always say you gotta have eggs to cook, gotta have the eggs to yank that piece of fish off the grill knowing it will be JUST right by the time it gets to the plates, e.g., and analogously you gotta have the eggs to sometimes go Rich-Upon-Rich.

Iron Chef Morimoto is also a great and inspiring proponent of Rich-Upon-Rich, although I wonder if he sees it that way.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

• 2 weeks later...

Meyer Meyer (double barreled) was in 87th precinct (bald by 40 due to stress), by Ed McBain.

Meyer (one name only) was Travis McGee's friend in John D. MacDonald's series. I don't think his first name or last name was ever given.