• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: OTOH: How to Cook a Wolfe

Fat Guy

The Cat and the Cook critique the cuisine of the world's greatest detective.

(First in a five-part series to appear daily this week)

+++

Be sure to check The Daily Gullet home page daily for new articles (most every weekday), hot topics, site announcements, and more.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

This is a fun article to read -- I'm looking forward to the next installment!

Ever read Barbara Pym? I recently read "Excellent Women" -- every other page, the main character is making tea or deciding what the next meal should be. Unfortunately, the meals are invariably depressing, i.e. a can of beans, or a chop for one, fried in a pan.

Congratulations both of you for capturing the essence of Stout. Can't wait for the ensuing instalments on what's bound to become a classic on eGullet--recipes wrapped up in mysteries. I do have to say, though, that the Nero Wolfe stories hold up a damn sight better than the Nero Wolfe recipes. Is there anything more stale or less satisfying than a cookbook whose time has come and gone?

There is one other Stout food connection that should be noted. His sister Ruth Stout was an early exponent of organic gardening under mulch and wrote extensively on the subject.

Edited by fresco (log)
Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Excellent!

I'm bouncing in my seat.

Thank you, your Neroness. (One seventh of a ton is bigtime bouncing! :biggrin:

The neighbors are complaining.

They always complain.

Noise is music. All else is food.

My copy of Nero Wolfe Cookbook is the 1981 Penguin edition.

Essential Americana, and my first reference for American recipes.

The recipes are really quite good. Anyone know who really wrote it?

Favourites include Corn Fritters with Thyme Honey, and, of course, Shad Roe...

What fun!!! Way to go, guys. Can't wait until the next installment.

I am currently reading my way through the series. I just finished "Too Many Women". The most notable food discussions in this one were around Archie taking various "dames" to Rusterman's (sp?), the restaurant that Wolfe has some connection with. Fritz was mostly cooking breakfast it seems.

Has anyone ever really tried those 40 minute scrambled eggs?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Meyer's full name is never disclosed in the McGee series--so Dave may well have inside information that we are sharing for the first time. Ross McDonald (Kenneth Millar in real life) , while an excellent mystery writer, worked the opposite coast from John D.

Edited by fresco (log)

Unfortunately, I don't have inside information on anything. I have a creaky mid-term memory that gets worse under the stress of a deadline.

As an example, the only way I can keep John and Ross MacDonald straight is to remember that the Travis McGee novels have colors in the titles. Why this works, and why it's easier than any number of more memory techniques is beyond me. Another example: when I typed the name "Meyer Meyer," for a minute I was sure that he was a character not in John, or Ross, or Ed, but in Catch 22. But that was Major Major. Wasn't it?

Thanks for the vote of confidence, fresco -- unless you know something, and I've stumbled onto it accidentally?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

"Thanks for the vote of confidence, fresco -- unless you know something, and I've stumbled onto it accidentally"

Dave,

You and Maggie both deserve a vote of confidence and thanks--great work. John D. has taken the mystery of Meyer to the grave, so calling him Meyer Meyer is as valid as Meyer Lemon or whatever.

I wonder about that "school banking scheme" myself.

Keep it coming, y'all. This is going to get me through a semester of Soups and Sauces.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Charming! And to think all these years I thought it was very nearly just me.

My identification with the Brownstone and its occupants is total. A harmless delusional literary relationship -- harmless, though adamant in its persistence. Some people have this sort of delusional relationship with Catcher in the Rye; can lead to bad ends, as we have seen.

(I owe my introduction to the Consort, who began inhabiting the Archie Goodwin character immediately upon first read, age 14 or something. He was well macerated indeed by the time I met him.)

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

(I owe my introduction to the Consort, who began inhabiting the Archie Goodwin character immediately upon first read, age 14 or something.  He was well macerated indeed by the time I met him.)

Sigh. You are the Luckiest of Women.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Maggie and Dave, you're three for three. Don't know that I buy the notion that Fritz Brenner had notions about Archie. My impression is that he saw Goodwin more as cat than catamite--a rather alarming and sometimes feral creature to be fed and fussed over rather than a tasty morsel that he fancied served over easy.

Maggie and Dave, you're three for three. Don't know that I buy the notion that Fritz Brenner had notions about Archie. My impression is that he saw Goodwin more as cat than catamite--a  rather alarming and sometimes feral creature to be fed and fussed over rather than a tasty morsel that he fancied served over easy.

Thanks, fresco.

Personally, I think she's jealous. I've got my inning coming on this one.

Feral? :shock:

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I just asked my mother to ship me at least part of her collection, but expect disappointment. Maybe if I offer Wodehouse in return. Thanks for the rekindling.

Edited to add the irresistably appropriate part of my mother's response :

What's really neat is that I discovered Nero Wolfe, Archie, et al, as tattered paperback books on an old bookcase in the summer cottage in Regina Beach.
Edited by KNorthrup (log)