• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spaghetti Squash

melkor

Seems the four plants we planted this year are a bit more prolific than expected, in addition to the ones we picked today there are another few dozen on the plants and they are still setting fruit. :rolleyes:

So I need a plan for the 25lbs of squash in the kitchen and the few hundred pounds to come over the coming weeks. What should I do with this stuff aside from the usual roasting with parmesan?

spagsquash.jpg

That is some good looking spaghetti squash!!!

Care to send me one? ;-))

I am not sure how to send a link here.

Copy and paste www.recipesource.com

In the search box type in Spaghetti Squash. It brought up 774 recipes.

Happy cooking.

marinara sauce. maybe stuff some zucchinis or eggplant with it. Then you can freeze em in some freezer bags and have em for the winter.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Then you can freeze em in some freezer bags and have em for the winter.

I've still got to figure out what to do with the 150lbs of shredded zucchini I've got in the freezer from last year...

shredded zucchini?

you can make zucchini pancakes -- sort of like ukoy, but not really.

you can turn some of that zucchini into soup. saute zucchini in unsalted butter with some onions, carrots and leeks; add chicken stock, season to taste with s&p, simmer for a few minutes. then, working in batches, puree the mixture and return to pot, simmer for a few more minutes, then add light cream and stir; serve immediately.

you can make zucchini slaw, or lightly salt the zukes and serve it as a quick pickle.

Soba

I've been making the same zucchini bread with the stuff since the garden started making too much to just eat, that was about a year ago. Now I've got this years plants starting to produce, I suppose I should finish off what is left in the freezer before these plants get out of control.

Here's my Zucchini Bread recipe:

2 eggs

1c sugar

1/3 cup oil

1 3/4 cups flour

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp baking powder

1 1/2 cups grated zucchini

1/2 tsp vanilla

turbinado sugar

Beat eggs, then add and beat sugar, then oil in stand mixer. Combine dry ingredients and add to mixer a cup at a time alternating with zucchini. Stir in vanilla. Pour into loaf pans, sprinkle with turbinado sugar and bake at 350 for about 50 minutes.