• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese banquets: All types!

Is the pink chicken because "red" is the lucky colour, and the white noodles themselves would be an "unlucky" colour?

I see you have 2 eggs in the pic with the noodle box. Is there egg worked into the soup? Or just an indication that these are egg noodles?

Those are wheat noodles, no eggs. We usually eat the eggs hard-boiled. The birthday boy always eats two eggs (or an even number of them).

The rice lees are added for flavor; the red color is just a lucky coincidence.

My Chinese name Ben is written with two symbols for man side by side with three angled slashes on top of each other on the right of them.

I couldn't find it in any of my dictionaries, either. But, now I can visualize it.

hzrt--- Oh! Those are Chess cakes? I've heard of them, but I always thought those little square cakes were a form of mooncake. Always learning!

hzrt--- Oh!  Those are Chess cakes?  I've heard of them, but I always thought those little square cakes were a form of mooncake. Always learning!

So what ISthe difference between mooncakes and chess cakes? They are both filled with lotus paste. The pastry looks the same...Are the words/decorations on the cakes different?

I didn't know that about eating eggs. I DO know that the person celebrating a birthday is not supposed to eat bananas on that day.

Does anyone else know the custom of say "Gnow aw see/cow pooping :shock: ? for saying someone has a bday? I remember my Mom saying that as she was preparin g the bday feast.

For my dad's bday, or other MALE members of the family, there is always "sam sang" (crispy pork, fish, chicken) for "by sun" in the morning. The women get zilch... :sad:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

hzrt--- Oh!  Those are Chess cakes?  I've heard of them, but I always thought those little square cakes were a form of mooncake. Always learning!

I wanted to see if I can find more information about chess cakes on Google. I typed in using Chinese characters. It returned only 2 pages. While both pages mentioned chess cakes, they contained no information on what the cakes were.

So I typed in "Chess Cake" on Google and did another search. Lo and behold... Google returned thousands of pages!!! Wow... could it be that so many people knew about the Chinese chess cake? I started clicking on some of these recipe pages.

They were all talking about CHEESE cakes with the word misspelled as "CHESS"!!! LOL. *shaking head*

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Ben, sorry I didn't get to wish you a happy birthday on your birthday, but did anyone give you an actual banquet (I mean, other than this lovely cyber-banquet) on that day, or is that coming this weekend? If there was a banquet, what dishes did it consist of?

Michael aka "Pan"

Ben,

Belated happy birthday. That cyber-banquet looked yummy. Maybe for your 65th, we can all get together and have a real banquet! :biggrin:

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Ben, sorry I didn't get to wish you a happy birthday on your birthday, but did anyone give you an actual banquet (I mean, other than this lovely cyber-banquet) on that day, or is that coming this weekend? If there was a banquet, what dishes did it consist of?

Pan, yes and no. To explain, I am a birdhunter (mostly ruffed grouse and woodcock) and being in New Brunswick in October is like being in woodcock heaven. So, every year I take my annual leave at this time of year when I play caveman and cosy up with my two bird dogs at the lakeshore. I normally get some flatulent, sweaty, and profane "guests" (my boyhood friends) clamoring to accompany me :hmmm: .

Now, being that this is a Chinese food forum, I am guessing probably not many have had the exquisite pleasure of eating the aforesaid birds. Whatever style you use to cook such wild birds with, they taste much better than chicken or turkey. Normally I just broil grouse, but my mother used to make "san guy gook fan" or rice pot with grouse meat, a bit of Chinese sausage, black mushrooms, bit of wine, oyster sauce, etc. Similar to that dish made with chicken. Woodcock, done rare or medium tastes sweeter than squab or chicken but it takes three to make a good meal (for me). You could cook it a la the Cantonese fried pigeon or make rumaki with them, or fricasse, or broiled or....

So, back to the question whether anyone gave me a banquet? No, not in the traditional sense, but my three buddies and I had a feast that was priceless and available to only a select few.

Ben,

Belated happy birthday.  That cyber-banquet looked yummy.  Maybe for your 65th, we can all get together and have a real banquet!    :biggrin:

What an excellent idea! And, we could have roasted grouse and woodcock in the menu. I've only tasted wild pigeons (many, many moons ago) and they were very good. My father was a hunter too.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

So, Tepee, are you going to do the first pictorial of a banquet dish? :raz:

I know, I know, you made the cake...but that's something you do all the time. I want eGulleteers to try their hands on a banquet dish that they have never made at home.

What say you?

We could add other dishes as well that were not part of Ben's banquet.

These could all be part of the banquet menu for the cyber restaurant: www.WOK.

A little explanation on the name:

Being as we are all from different parts of the world, and the wok is, traditionally synonomous with Asian cooking, I thought it would be a good name for a cyber restaurant with an international staff. :rolleyes::laugh::laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Would it be this:    (Sound: Bun [Cantonese], meaning: polite)

But those 2 are not men side by side.  They are wood side by side, which means forest.

HZRT8W. Right you are You Sir, are as scholar and a word sleuth.

So it IS 彬! I'm a little slow! {{{{{batting head}}}}}

In Mandarin, that is Bin meaning refined as in manner ---- and that is the way I think of you, Ben!

(good job, hzrt.)

[...]So, back to the question whether anyone gave me a banquet?  No, not in the traditional sense, but my three buddies and I had a feast that was priceless and available to only a select few.

Sounds great! I've never had woodcock or gone hunting.

Michael aka "Pan"

I'm posting a bit later then I anticipated as I've been inundated the last few days, however since I was honored to be given the allocate of "Toastmaster" I want to wish our "Birthday Boy" He's younger then me by 6 1/2 years plus he's a "Horse" and I'm a "Rat" on the Chinese New Year calender.

It ironical that this topic required diplomacy and understanding to retain it's status on eGullet but I'm not sure if everyone is aware that our subject has dedicated his career to exactly that subject. Being a diplomat requires finesse and expertise in giving and taking subjectively. I'm sure that our Birthday Banquet/Celebration was a eGullet first and most likely the one best attributed to diplomacy.

What I feel is the most important, special and unique about him is his ability to remember and share with everyone on eGullet a world that practically no longer exists that eventually may be important to the majority of Chinese immigrants in Canada and the United States as well as Hong Kong who came from the Toysan region of China. I have attempted researching many foods from the region, but learned more about, or was brought back to so many memories of various foods and dishes thru his postings. I'm sure that we all hope that he will put his memoir's into print as it appears that this isn't being done as it may become lost in the generation gap.

He's multi-lingual in English, French and Chinese with a office located in a City in New Brunswick Canada that surrounded by more Saints they anywhere else on the maps. [even a Notre Dame]

In his profession at 63 years old he's at his prime. as in most governments older statesmen don't retire they are constantly recycled as their advice and experience are a real asset.

Even one of his most recent posting is instructive. Chinese hunters eat game birds when they are very fresh to enjoy the natural flavors and character.

English, French or European hunters prefer to hang their game birds to ripen so they can enjoy them cooked rare in that state.

I'm sure that someone can make sense out of this observation, but I have served, and enjoyed eating them fresh, but never been able to even attempt to taste them after being hung proper.

One thing I am sure of is that the traditional Chinese way almost always tastes better.

Therefore my Toast is:

"Please keep giving, as we need your learned advice and thoughts. We all feel honored to share them with you and look foward to enjoy many birthdays together."

I would like to thank everyone who brought this topic together, especially "Dejah" whose magical capabilities were brought to our attention by Ben, hzrt8w and Teepee for her birthday cake that was able to light up the screens on all our computers.

Irwin

Edited by wesza (log)

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

What I feel is the most important, special and unique him is his ability to remember and share with everyone on eGullet a world that practically no longer exists that eventually may be important to the majority of Chinese immigrants in Canada and the United States as well as Hong Kong who came from the Toysan region of China. I have attempted researching many foods from the region, but learned more about, or was brought back to so many memories of various foods and dishes thru his postings. I'm sure that we all hope that he will put his memoir's into print as it appears that this isn't being done as it may become lost in the generation gap.

He's multi-lingual in English, French and Chinese with a office located in a City in New Brunswick Canada that surrounded by more Saints they anywhere else on the maps. [even a Notre Dame]

In his profession at 63 years old he's at his prime. as in most governments older statesmen don't retire they are constantly recycled as their advice and experience are a real asset.

... my Toast is:

"Please keep giving, as we need your learned advice and thoughts. We all feel honored to share them with you and look foward to enjoy many birthdays together."

I would like to thank everyone who brought this topic together, especially "Dejah" whose magical capabilities were brought to our attention by Ben, hzrt8w and Teepee for her birthday cake that was able to light up the screens on all our computers.

Hear, hear!!

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Aww gosh, :blush::blush: For the first time in a long time I'm am at a loss for words. Irwin, and everyone else, those are the kindest words I have heard spoken about myself and as such, I really don't know how to reply. sO I'll be true to my Chinese and Canadian upbringing and say THANKS

It's ironical that incidentally a "Birthday Surprise" occurred at just the right time to provide a enthusiastic response from our celebrant.

In Yiddish there is a word that contonates this feeling "Mitzvah" [Good Deed] that he has been sharing together with a happy enjoyment that makes me and everyone else feel good to have settled a question that now been finally brought to rest.

Yes Ben it was indeed "Dejah's" mythical magic that cast the spell to provide you with proof about where the "Noodle" originated.

After your post on the "Mooncake thread" I have been watching and waiting for something to prove that you were correct in your assumption.

Now you all know that if you get a Party that started by a certain person there will be a unexpected ending that gives you some unusual enjoyment.

Irwin :rolleyes:

Now that was a "PARTY" even better then blowing out the candles.

Thank you eGullet.

Edited by wesza (log)

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't really banquet fare, but Irwin travels a great deal and gets to savour lots of banquet fare.

So, in honour of his 69th birthday tomorrow, I decided to make these two homey dishes for his birthday luncheon:

gallery_13838_1972_41985.jpg

Stir-fried beef tenderloin with tomatoes, egg, ginger, and scallions

gallery_13838_1972_13414.jpg

Steamed Mah-la gau

May you have many more years to enjoy all the wonderful food and friendships eGullet has to offer!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Sue-On, can you tell us more about Mah-la gau? Like, what are the ingredients?

Hi Michael,

Doing my "rounds" before bedtime. :smile:

The recipe for Mah-la Gau is from Chinese Snacks by Wei-Chuan Publishing. I made a little alteration to the recipe at the "urgings of my Chinese aunties". This made the texture "chewier = gnun".

The ingredients are all purpose flour, glutinous rice flour (this is the change), baking powder, brown sugar, eggs, and butter, evaporated milk, baking soda, vanilla.

I mix it all up, pour it into a Saran lined 9 inch springform cake pan, and steam for 30 minutes. The whole process may take less than an hour.

I had made 4 of these cakes earlier in the week for my international students and for participants at a qi-gong workshop. They all liked the light spring texture and the "not too sweet" element of the cake, as well as the fact that it was steamed. It was a welcomed treat for my Chinese students as this was something they were familair with and were missing.

I wanted to make another for this "party". My family gets to have some this time around!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Dejah:

Magical Works Happening Again ! [ben was right]

I haven't been more surprised since my Grand Daughter was born on my Birthday after 72 hour of Labor while I was babysitting her 2 sisters and Mommies and Daddy were also being surprised when she arrived in the early morning.

Shes my only Grandchild with my dark brown eyes, many facial expressions and naughty smile. The other 5 are Blue or Green Eyed with Fair Hair.

Tomorrow I now must go for Yum Cha to enjoy "Mah la Gau" [perfect excuse] keeping in mind that the popular "Walnut Variety" as are the "Mushi Pan" derived from the Portuguese Bakers who brought the word "Pan" to Japan together with "Tempura" who jumped ship in Okinawa. [lecture mode]

Thank you for remembering about my Birthday and making me feel so special from all my fellow eGulleters who are my "Cyber Family".

Irwin

Edited by wesza (log)