• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexican Mint

I am growing a pot of Mexican Mint that I got from Whole Foods. The label said it is sometimes used as a substitute for Tarragon. It does taste like a cross between Mint and Tarragon. Has anyone used this? What is it used for in Mexico or other countries?

Good question, and I don't know the answer.

I do grow Yerbabuena - which is a Latin American mint, but I grow it primarily because it is supposed to be the best choice for Mojitos. It is also reputed to have medicinal qualities, and is often prepared in tea for that purpose.

But I don't know if it is the same "Mexican mint" that you are growing. I've never noticed the tarragon flavor; but then again, I've never tasted for it.

Perhaps a good place to start would be with the botanical name of the plant you purchased. That might help us narrow it down.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

:cool: I've used Mexican Marigold Mint in a marinade for chicken before. Just chop the mint fine and mix with minced garlic, salt, pepper and good olive oil.

Slather the sauce all over chicken halves and let set for 2 hours.

I always grill my chicken over mesquite charcoal for that authentic touch that always reminds me of Mexico. Just grill and baste occasionally.....some darned fine eating especially of you can get fresh bolillos!

"We do not stop playing because we grow old,

we grow old because we stop playing"

Thanks everyone. Yes, it is the Mexican Marigold Mint. And thanks for the chicken suggestion. My sister also suggested using it on a leg of lamb, and the Tarragon-mint would indeed go very well with lamb.

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed this post and was sampling my sister's Mexican Mint Marigold... whatever last weekend. I have a hard time telling the difference from tarragon. In fact, we have pretty much given up trying to grow tarragon here in Houston. The taste may vary by growing conditions so that may explain different folks reaction to it. But then, I am not a super taster either. We just use it as a direct substitute for tarragon.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 6 months later...

Like almost every other herb in Mexico, they often use it for an upset stomach.

It's a little sweet as a tarragon substitute but it works great as an avocado leaf sub in Oaxacan black beans.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Now that is a good suggestion. I have tried to do the Oaxacan style black beans when I have been able to find avocado leaves at Fiesta. I didn't think that the avocado leaves added much but also suspected that they were stale and flavorless compared to a fresher product. What little I could taste tells me that the Mexican Mint Marigold would make a nice substitute.

Any other suggested recipes using this substitution? Can you share your bean recipe? If it is your recipe and not copyrighted, you could even put it in RecipeGullet. (hint, hint) :wink:

BTW... I read somewhere (Zarela Martinez?) that you shouldn't go out and pick leaves off your avocado tree. The aren't the same as the leaves used in southern Mexico and may be somewhat toxic. Does anyone know more about this?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I actually just add them about 10 minutes or so before serving. The flavor gets lost if you cook them too much. But they are pretty strong so I'd start with just a bit and add as needed.

I read the same thing about the avocado leaves, probably same source. I have to deal with frost a few times a year so citrus and avocados are a real hassle I'd rather avoid, especially since this is an occasional dish for me, not something I do everyday. The "mint" is easy and pretty and you even get flowers at the end of the summer.

it's a funny herb, though, isn't it? It's so strong and distinct and it doesn't look like it should have that aroma and flavor!

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

I grew Tagetes lucida this past summer. (When a plant has many common names across languages and cultures, I try to stick to the Latin/Scientific/Botanical name so there is no mistake of what it is.)

It's pretty heat and cold tolerant and grows faster than regular tarragon which can be finicky, so it's great for those who want to grow their own herbs. You can smell it several feet away too.

More recipes for you.

:smile:

For those of you wondering about this wonderful plant, this site will probably tell you more than you want to know. This is one of the sites on the google link above. The site is absolutely manic in its detail.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"