• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carl's Jr. opens 1000th restaurant

Fat Guy

That creepy smiling star thing is what gets me.  It's almost as creepy as the branded "M's" on the McGriddle sandwiches.

Does it talk in the commercials or something?

I'm not sure of the star's history. Usually it's just a graphic thing, a logo. One of their cheapest burgers is called The Famous Star.

Edited by hollywood (log)

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

That creepy smiling star thing is what gets me.  It's almost as creepy as the branded "M's" on the McGriddle sandwiches.

Does it talk in the commercials or something?

I'm not sure of the star's history. Usually it's just a graphic thing, a logo. One of their cheapest burgers is called The Happy Star.

Well, the history of the star I actually knew a bit from a link from yesterday's posts. I was more interested in whether if was actually a character or just a logo. But either way, apparently he's been around forever, although according to that question on that little quiz led to by the link, not always with that creepy smile.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

• 2 weeks later...
I think Carl might still be around.  He was doing the ads a couple of years ago.  The weird thing is he started by selling hot dogs and they never promote dogs.

They were great hot dogs - they had mustard, chopped onions, tomato wedges, and a sour pickle spear. I think der Weinerschnitzel has something similar.

• 4 years later...

Wow, Vallejo had to wait til 03 for a Carls?! There was an old-looking one in San Diego that I first noticed in 1980. Vallejo is not overrun with dining options. There must have been a fair amount of traffic thru that branch when it first opened.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Point was the slow service might have been due to the novelty of the particular fastfood joint in town.

When the godawful krispiecremes opened here, lines around the block. I can only attribute novelty, because those things suck.

I didnt notice the plethora of options in my short stay some 15 years back. 'course, its changed. Noticed the old navy housing is gone, too.

Tho, revisiting the first post, it might have been the interesting angle of the facility that drew such crowds the day you went.

Edited by Kouign Aman (log)

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Point was the slow service might have been due to the novelty of the particular fastfood joint in town.

When the godawful krispiecremes opened here, lines around the block. I can only attribute novelty, because those things suck.

I didnt notice the plethora of options in my short stay some 15 years back. 'course, its changed. Noticed the old navy housing is gone, too.

Tho, revisiting the first post, it might have been the interesting angle of the facility that drew such crowds the day you went.

I think it has a lot more to do with the fact that it's directly across the street from the Six Flags parking lot...

Carl's Junior is Hardee's, right? Don't they still advertise as Hardee's, too?

http://www.ckr.com/

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.