• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Riedel Glasses in NJ restaurants

Rosie

Rosie

Do you mean have them for every day service? or Do you mean they have them in the restaurant available, but put them out for special use/occasions?

And why only Riedel and not other high quality glassware?

An American Grill has Riedel on hand for special wines but it is a more durable glass for restaurants. Ryland sets the table with Riedel but it is the more expensive style. Cent Anni in Maplewood uses Spiegleau for special wines.

Viejo

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,

Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --- Homer

"Do you mean have them for every day service? or Do you mean they have them in the restaurant available, but put them out for special use/occasions? "

Either. Would be interested to know both.

"And why only Riedel and not other high quality glassware?"

Because the ad was for Riedel. If you know of other high quality glassware that is used in restaurants certainly tell us where and what.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I am in the wine business and work for Lauber Imports; Riedels distributor in NY , NJ. and Pa. I will try and get a comprehensive list of NJ restaurants that carry riedel and post it here.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. That would be great.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

"Do you mean have them for every day service?  or  Do you mean they have them in the restaurant available,  but put them out for special use/occasions? "

Either. Would be interested to know both.

"And why only Riedel and not other high quality glassware?"

Because the ad was for Riedel. If you know of other high quality glassware that is used in restaurants certainly tell us where and what.

Rosie,

Reidel puts out a special restaurant glass that is actually dishwasher friendly. On a 3 case deal from Lauber Inports they come to approx $4 a glass.

I made the decision to use them for wines on my special selection list only because I don't have the room to store them for every wine on my list. They are somewhat larger then my regular glasswear.

Lou

Rosie, the ad I saw (Food Arts, Jun '03, pg 4) lists the following:

Bernards Inn , 27 Mine Brook Rd , BERNARDSVILLE, NJ 07924 , 908-766-0002

An American Grill , 246 State Hwy No 10 , RANDOLPH, NJ 07801 , 973-442-9311

Renaissance Meadowlands , 801 Rutherford Ave , RUTHERFORD, NJ 07070 , 201-231-3100

Peter

I've not been there for a while, but the Ryland Inn used Riedel on my last visit, about a year ago. Personally, my impression is that it's a needless extravagance for a restaurant to use them. They're much too fragile and expensive for commercial use, and Speigelau is a more than acceptable alternative-- sturdier, cheaper and of a quality that compares well with Riedel.

Manhattan's celebrated Chanterelle and its Master Sommelier Roger Dagorn, among others, get along just fine with Speigelau.

In my experience, Speigelau, which we use at The Frog and The Peach is more expensive than the restaurant quality Riedel which is glass, not crystal. It is also a nicer glass (higher quality) We use them for all bottled wine and for upper end wines by the glass. We have a generic glass for wines by the glass at the bar.

With regard to fragility, the Speigelau is indeed too fragile! A red wine galss costs about $7.00 and breaks if polished with too much gusto, if a glass rack is set down too quickly (loosing more than one glass!), if bumped togeher when being carried, and sometimes just sort of explodes on the shelf...... But... they are beatiful!

As expenses are on the rise for the stuff we have little control over like utilities and insurance, we are looking into the possibility of changing to the less expensive, more durable Riedel.

I hadn't realized until reading this thread Riedel is willing to promote those establishments that use their glass. There is an extra plus to that! Please however, realize that what they are giving credit for and what the restaurant going public is being lead to believe is a really big deal is not the same quaility glass as the Riedel glass you would use to at home for your very best bottle of wine shared with your very best friends. Nor is it the best glass that a restaurant has to chose from.

Enjoy your wine and take care of those glasses. A nice glass does make a difference! :smile:

Thanks for supporting independent restaurants!

Elizabeth (Betsy) Alger

The Frog and The Peach

New Brunswick, NJ 08901

Betsy. I guess we're comparing apples and oranges-- I totally forgot about the value-priced glass Riedels. You're quite right, however, about how crucial glassware is to the enjoyment of wine. I did an article sometime back about how New Jersey was the BYOB capital of the country, thanks to its restrictive liquor licensing; I pointed that the fly in that ointment was the deplorable quality of the glasses proffered to the brown-bagging wine-loving diner!

Riedels, of course, are first-rate, but I do think Herr Georg takes his insistence on just one `right" glass for each type of wine more than a bit too far.... My breakfront, let alone my budget, is not big enough to hold a full service for eight of all his permutations!

With regard to fragility, the Speigelau is indeed too fragile!  A red wine galss costs about $7.00

Betsy

I can easily purchase Spiegelau for a few cents less than $5.00.

I would think with your volume you could do a lot better. I do understand the breakage issue but I have to say I tried the less expensive Riedels (no disrespect to Lou Reda :rolleyes: ) and there is no comparison.

While many poke fun at me I bring my own glasses when I can.

Thanks

Viejo

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,

Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --- Homer