• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need help with cheap eats in DC please!

kitty

Hello! I've just found this board and have tons of questions! I'll start with one for now. I am taking my sister and mom on a trip to DC in August. It will be my third, but their first. My sister is very thrifty, therefore I am looking for good places to eat that are fairly inexpensive. I know, I know...isn't everyone??!! Just to give you a price range: Lunch (under $12) and Dinner (under $15) if this is at all possible. They both are restricted as far as diet a bit (high cholesterol) and they don't like spicey foods. As you can see, we're quite limited. I'd also like places near popular tourist spots or close to the Metro stops if possible, however any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Kitty

Kitty,

The washingtonian magazine just came out with their june issue, listing cheap eats, actually 100 of them. You should be able to access it online at www.washingtonian.com.

Also, for around ten bucks you can get a copy of Mr. Cheap's Washington D.C. listing besides cheap eats, baragains, discount stores, factory outlets etc.

Have a fun trip to DC and don't forget to visit Alexandria!

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

Low cholesterol and not spicy. Hmmm... I was going to recommend Annettes BBQ Heaven in Alexandria... Never mind... :biggrin:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I've actually already checked out www.washingtonian.com as well as Mr. Cheap's book. I've got some ideas, but I was looking more for personal opinions I guess. We'll probably wing it as I have in the past, but then again I'm more flexible when it comes to food choices as well as price. Basically, if I'm hungry, I stop to eat!! Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Kitty

• 2 weeks later...

Pizza Paradisio: I believe it's on P street near Dupont Circle...know for some of the best pizza in D.C.

$15 for dinner is a tuff squeeze in this city...

Rocklands barbeque...mmmmhhh on wisconsin....no waiter service but delicious and inexpensive.

Well don't just stand there......get some glue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kitty--is that per person or combined?

Do you know where you plan to go--the Mall one day, the zoo another--and where you will be staying?

On your previous visits, where have you eaten and what did you think of the quality/value of that food?

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com