• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mos Burger

tissue

That spicy mos burger is really good!

It is sort of like a chili topped burger with extra jalapeno for kick.

Definitely recommend it!

Now I am dreaming about MOS burger too...............

Smallworld that Jambalaya burger was REALLY good!! :laugh:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

A clumsy translation of the burger description:

'The jalapeno's heat

is subdued with cheese.

A mild spiciness.'

Are all of MOS burger's descriptions done in Haiku?

The burger sizzles

lone Weber on the porch

juicy and salty like umeboshi

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

'The jalapeno's heat

is subdued with cheese.

A mild spiciness.'

The burger sizzles

lone Weber on the porch

:laugh::laugh:

I actually had to go back to look at the homepage, no they are not, but that one sure sounds like it!

It would be neat if they did that though. :biggrin:

'The jalapeno's heat

is subdued with cheese.

A mild spiciness.'

The burger sizzles

lone Weber on the porch

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I totally didn't realize how haiku-like that was! The original Japanese wasn't really, but it was in three short lines so I used the same format for my translation. Guess I'm a poet and don't know it!

Of course, a true haiku should have a seasonal reference and stick to the 5-7-5 syllable format. Maybe this would be better (but I'm not sure which season jalapenos evoke):

chopped jalapeno

melty cheese subdues its heat

a mild spiciness

Or maybe this:

hot jalapeno

nestled on processed cheddar

cheesy harmony

Smallworld that Jambalaya burger was REALLY good!! 

Yeah, go ahead and taunt me, Torakris. I'm used to it...

Edited by smallworld (log)

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

I'm thinking the next writing competition should be writing haikus for our favorite fast food chain.

Rick Bayless Baguette

artificial salsa crap

rots in my stomach.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I'm thinking the next writing competition should be writing haikus for our favorite fast food chain.

Rick Bayless Baguette

artificial salsa crap

rots in my stomach.

:laugh:

I'm sure we'd uncover a lot of hidden talent amoung egulleteers. Count me out though, since I've pretty much used up all my creativity...

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been to the Honolulu branch. In Japan, I first discovered MOS Burger when I didn't live near one - most of the MOS Burgers in my area were only reachable by car - and I didn't have one for the longest time. Then I bought a car and moved, my new town hand a MOS burger within a five minute walk. Go figure.

Anyway I'd like to send a shout out to the MOS Chili dog, the best hot dog in Japan.

• 4 weeks later...

MOS burger's newest!!

the daikon burger :blink:

A beef patty is topped with a slow simmered thick slice of daikon and then topped with a demi glace type sauce made with miso, tonbanjian (Chinese chile paste), bacon and eryngii mushrooms, this is then topped with a white yuzu flavored sauce:

http://www.mos.co.jp/spotlight/040130/daikon.html

MOS seems to be stepping on the Atkins bandwagon as there other newest offering is bun-less, choosing instead to wrap the burger in lettuce:

http://www.mos.co.jp/spotlight/040130/t_lettuce.html

They both look worth trying...

According to their homepage, they have stopped selling their yakiniku rice burger because the beef used in the yakiniku topping was from the US. (There is an import ban on US beef following the BSE find) However the meat used to make the regular hamburgers is from either Tasmania or New Zealand....

• 1 month later...

Good question.

These lettuce wrapped burgers at MOS are also sold with a bun option.

They also appeared on the scene at teh same time that some places in the US were doing it, but it is also common here to eat meat wrapped in leafy things... :blink:

It is really hard to say since the low carb diet fad isn't really popular here.

Who knows? :biggrin:

• 4 weeks later...
MOS rice burger questions: Is the rice bun firm enough so that you can pick up it up and eat it like a regular burger? Is the rice seasoned in any way? Does the yakiniku burger have any sauce other than the marinade? Thanks!

I don't believe the rice bun is actually flavored itself, it is just grilled. It will hold up for a couple bites and then it starts to crumble, it is actually served in a pocket like bag and you sort of eat it out of that, the the parts just fall back into the bag and you just sort of push everything into your mouth.

The yakiniku burger is no longer being sold, they now have a shouga-yaki burger (pork with a ginger sauce), but I don't believe their is any additional sauce other than what the meat was cooked in.

Here is a nice picture of the rice burger as well as the pocket like bag it is served in:

http://jogeedaklown.com/images/worldcup/wo...5-rot-1-0.shtml

Thanks so much for this info, Kris. I'm a recipe developer and have been asked to recreate raisu baagaa for a client. It's a little hard, never having eaten one! This forum is fun to read, even though I've never been to Japan--hope to go one day, in the meantime all I know about Japanese food is sushi bars and tea kaiseki so it's interesting to read about what people really eat in Japan (what's up with all the mayo?)

• 3 weeks later...

I was running a bunch of errands today and decided to pop into Mos for lunch. I had the rosu-katsu sandwich with the lettuce instead of the bun and it was really good. They had notices all over the store announcing their new sandwich that will debut tomorrow (5/21) the Katsuo!

This is a katsuo (bonito) patty topped with bamboo shoots marinated in a shiso sauce and topped with a special tomato sauce, can be found here:

http://www.mos.co.jp/spotlight/040510/katsuo.html

• 3 months later...

now this looks damn good!

http://www.mos.co.jp/spotlight/040820/takumi_aw.html

the takumi avocado wasabi burger

at 880yen ($8) this isn't your typical fast food burger.....

only available at certain stores, after 2:00pm and in limited quantity....

but the wasabi is freshly grated after the order is placed...