• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian restaurant bans Asians for Bank Holidays

skchai

A story about the Empress of India restaurant in the Lakes Region of England seems to be making the rounds in various newspapers. A prominent businessman, Moshinali Darugar, was told that he could not get a seat because the restaurant was full. However, when the white manager of his hotel called, he was able to get table right away.

Here is the justification put forth by the assistant manager:

People from India and Pakistan complain that our dishes do not have enough hot spices. Our menu is for the English, who do not like hot spices such as fresh hot chillies.

"We are very busy at Bank Holidays. We have not time to make special dishes. It would be a load of hassle. We say we are fully booked, if Asians ask."

What are your feelings about this? Can any of you who are restauranters empathize with the pressures that led to this decision (even if you do not condone the decision itself)? Are there really such major and systematic differences in the types of Indian food that Asians and Westerners like?

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

I would say that probably there are major differences between the types of "Indian foods that Asians and Westerners like," especially when said Westerners have not eaten a great deal of very spicy food.

And I do empathize with the beleaguered restaurant staff that on very crowded holidays is faced with having to prepare special dishes for a few customers.

The obvious and easy thing would be to say that this restaurant should just select a market and cater to it and prepare what they wish in order to please that market and that those that are not pleased by what the restaurant has to offer can just go somewhere else.

But in real life, that's not what happens. Customers do go to that restaurant and then complain about it to everyone - to the staff, the management, the owners - and to all of their own relatives, friends, neighbors.

In order to deal with this problem, the management of the restaurant has decided to enact a temporary "you people" policy. In other words, "we don't want to deal with 'you people' because you are too much trouble."

I am not familiar with the laws against discrimination in the UK, but I can tell you that here in the States, the restaurant owner/management would promptly find themselves facing a lawsuit. They would soon discover that adding a few extra spices to some of their dishes is much less trouble than hashing it out in a series of costly and unpleasant court appearances which might result in damages being awarded to the "you people."

I'd suggest that rather than lying to customers with Asian-sounding names by saying that they are fully booked, they'd be better off to tell everyone that calls that their policy on dining in that restaurant on holidays is that they will not be "customizing" any of their dishes, or making any other substitutions, or otherwise deviating from the menu, just for that day.

And I'd also put a little notice that says the same thing on the menu. Make it clear that it is temporary, there's a good reason, if you like your food spicier or whatever, perhaps you might prefer to visit us another time when we are able to give your individual tastes special attention.

But the "you people" approach is rarely productive. And quite often, as with the publicity created in this case, can have extremely detrimental consequences.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Not sure how to react to this.

In the US, I have never had that freedom (caution: I have never been told it does not exist). Not that I have been denied to ask.. but friends have made me believe all I can ask for is a vegetarian special (which is always a very badly prepard vegetarian assortment, and no self-respecting Indian could eat that). I have learned to accept that as my only alternative in certain fine dining establishment.. or I order a few sides like French Fried potatoes... and eat those and smile and remain as good company for friends that are enjoying the dishes in front of them.

I have been to maybe 3-4 restaurants where the chef really made an effort. And those have been 3-4 experiences in 11 years of dining out several times a week and in many cities around the US. These restaurants and chefs have gained my loyalty and admiration. And I feel they are a very rare breed. One chef went all out to create something special for me. A multiple course (over 4 for sure) savory tasting menu. And one of the dishes was the tastiest vegetable vindaloo I have ever eaten. And I am not kidding you when I say it was the tastiest vegetable vindaloo. The chef had ordered veggies from the local grocer in that area.. and also the missing spices, and made me one course that he knew I would reach to favorably. IN this case, all the courses for me were spectacular. The vindaloo came out second from last. And that was the icing on the cake. I will never forget that evening. Did I ask for Indian spicing from the reservationist? Nope. All I told them is that I am vegetarian and not a fan of the usual mixed vegetable (grilled or pan fried) platters that I am served at most establishments. I did say that if the chef can do something more thoughtful for me, I would be overwhelmed, if he cannot, I understand. But please make sure my fellow diners have a wonderful experience no matter what food you serve me. I was amazed at how brilliantly the entire meal was orchestrated. And how carefully they had planned my several courses. The chef had made a gallant and successful effort.

I have been in the management part of a restaurant in NYC.. and also in the cooking end. I am not sure chefs here would be happy about altering their menus to every customers own needs. I guess the thinking here, that I have encountered is that the diner can go to an Indian restaurant if that is what they want... or eat with them and enjoy their take on cuisine. Certainly many chefs will accomodate the dietary needs of their clients (which in my case is always giving me grilled veggies for the most part, most of which I do not like or would eat in my own home), but I am not sure that means giving them food cooked as the customer would be happy eating. Is that really the responsibility of the chef or staff of a restaurant? I am not sure what most people think of in regards to this....I feel chefs must do what they can to make the guest leave happy. But not every kitchen would have a pantry that could sate the spice cravings of one used to the very complex flavorings of Indian cooking. Should an effort be made? Yes... Can that effort be really sating to one like me? Rarely, but if it is more than just average or poor for the most part, the chef will see me very happy, the wait staff will be tipped extra by me.. and for life, I will thank them for that very rare dining experience they have afforded me.

I have worked with chefs that had little if any frantic cooking happening on their line, but found no interest to work with the servers to give the diner a nice experience. I have been on the recieving end of the largesse bestowed upon me by a very busy chef, cooking in a very busy and full restaurant, at the peak hour of the night, and still making time and extra effort to satisfy just one peculiar customer, "me". I think a majority hardly care if one out of the scores of customers in any shift go underwhelmed. Maybe I am wrong in thinking this way, but that is what I have come to accept.

But do I go to restaurants wanting food that is spiced up and made to standards that my Indian psyche is craving? Not really. Is my not wanting this the way every one should be? Not for me to decide or judge. But I wish I had the guts.... I am for the most part a meek diner. I accept what I see.. and I make the most of it.

I have dined with friends and enjoyed the meal for I fill my stomach looking at the smiles and happiness in my dining companions faces. I have enough fat in my system to keep me alive even though I end up eating little if much at all for most meals I have with friends during any given week.

I am not sure how I would react to this story. I am not sure I would have even asked for any special attention given me. But I am curious about how others look at this.

I'd suggest that rather than lying to customers with Asian-sounding names by saying that they are fully booked, they'd be better off to tell everyone that calls that their policy on dining in that restaurant on holidays is that they will not be "customizing" any of their dishes, or making any other substitutions, or otherwise deviating from the menu, just for that day.

And I'd also put a little notice that says the same thing on the menu.  Make it clear that it is temporary, there's a good reason, if you like your food spicier or whatever, perhaps you might prefer to visit us another time when we are able to give your individual tastes special attention.

But the "you people" approach is rarely productive.  And quite often, as with the publicity created in this case, can have extremely detrimental consequences.

All very valid and good points Jaymes. :smile:

And the above points are really very good ones. I wish more restaurants would hire one with your mind before implementing such poorly thought out policies.

Suvir:

When I go to Indian restaurants, I seldom ask for off-menu dishes, but whenever I suspect my food might be bland otherwise, I do make very clear that I want the food to be very spicy. Mediocre restaurants that just don't believe a non-Indian can eat hot peppers don't listen and get a remark of sad resignation from me and a request for hot sauce (which the wait staff thinks will make everything OK, and it won't), but good restaurants normally accomodate my request, and I often find that the wait staff is delighted to have a customer who can appreciate spicy food. My best story in this regard was a wonderful dinner I had at a restaurant at the Quality Inn in Harrisburg, run by Patels like so many other hotels and motels in the U.S. To be fair, the restaurant wasn't crushingly busy when I was there, but my dishes were spiced like the owner likes to eat them (as he told me), and man, were they great! Their buffet lunch the next day, naturally, wasn't as special, though it was still satisfying. I wish all the hotels I stayed at on the road had such good restaurants attached to them.

Michael aka "Pan"

Pan, thanks for sharing your experience.

I wish more restaurants (Indian and otherwise) would be more accomodating of their clientele.

I find it terrible when an ethnic restaurant feels they ought to change their cuisine to meet the tastes of the community where they operate.

It is one thing to learn about the service standards, familiarize oneself with the culture and the social set up of that area, but I hardly feel there is need to change the cuisine to sell ones own. I think a smart restaurant would do exactly what you say has been good in your experiences. And actually, a smart restaurant would alter very little, but make an effort to educate as they share something new. It is possible to do that, but it takes much effort. Unfortunately, not many Indian restaurants are run by owners that have lasting vision. Far too many of them have grand ideas, great vision at first, but little if any interest to be in it for the long run. And yes this is a terrible generalization, but I am hoping I can be proven wrong many times over. It would make me the happiest man ever.

I know of a restaurant in NYC that hired a great pastry chef from DC, hired a talented Indian chef and invested much money on their look and initial vision. But for some reason, it was unable to make a lasting effort to continue in the direction it created a buzz about. The chefs were doing a great job, but the support chefs and front of house management need from a smart owner was lacking. I have heard many versions of this particular restaurants failure, but through all of them, the one consistent thing has been lack of vision from the owners.

So, now years after its initial opening, this restaurant is still open, but it has no soul, nothing noteworthy about its food and the chefs that began it are long gone. I can well imagine diners across races finding their meals mediocre and the management making little if any effort to serve their clients.

An Indian restaurant hardly has any reason to not adjust the heat or spiciness in its food for its Indian patrons. It does not take much effort, the spices and exotic ingredients are all in their kitchen already, or should be, and so, it would take barely a minute or two extra to go the extra mile in making your guest happy. Perhaps those that have little self esteem and are self hating, may find it not important to spoil those of their own race. Unfortunate.

I agree with you that many working the tables and most managers would want to help. It is human nature to help, but often, lack of correct staffing and disgruntled empoyees can ruin what can otherwise be an experience such as what you mention at the Quality Inn. You are a kind man Pan, to share this example. I hope more such restaurant (In this case hotel/motel) owners provide similar service and can learn from feedback like yours that a little effort can go a very long way.