• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shrimp Boil

Fifi just recently posted an interesting question about her shrimp boil on a recent eGullet thread:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?s=&act...=ST&f=3&t=20533

Any pointers, Brooke?

EDIT: Please see Brooke's quoted response from the thread below.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Fifi--

You started a great debate! I wish I could help you! Jason says New England does shrimp boils, but he obviously is not a true Yankee. Jason - in New England, LOBSTER is king! The only shrimp caught fresh in New England waters are the tiny Maine shrimp that have a brief season in the winter. And, as a matter of fact, their thin, papery shells do make them hard to peel. All other shrimp we buy here is frozen - and most have thick shells that just kind of slip off. Some fish markets around here are have started doing this wonderful thing of slicing part way through the shell and rinsing out the vein, which also has the added benefit of making them even easier to peel, either raw or cooked.

Your shrimp boil tradition sounds fabulous! I've always wanted to go to one. Enjoy it, and just be thankful that your get get 'em that fresh!

Brooke Dojny

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Fifi--

You started a great debate! I wish I could help you! Jason says New England does shrimp boils, but he obviously is not a true Yankee. Jason - in New England, LOBSTER is king! The only shrimp caught fresh in New England waters are the tiny Maine shrimp that have a brief season in the winter. And, as a matter of fact, their thin, papery shells do make them hard to peel. All other shrimp we buy here is frozen - and most have thick shells that just kind of slip off. Some fish markets around here are have started doing this wonderful thing of slicing part way through the shell and rinsing out the vein, which also has the added benefit of making them even easier to peel, either raw or cooked.

Your shrimp boil tradition sounds fabulous! I've always wanted to go to one. Enjoy it, and just be thankful that your get get 'em that fresh!

Brooke Dojny

I'm pals with a New Orleans Brass Band, and a couple summers ago, we did a gigantic crawfish boil. 80 lbs fresh, overnight trekked, corn, andouille, potatoes, garlic, onions, lemons, two packs of boil, king cake, watermelon, cornbread, and a 1/2 barrel of Heineken on a sweltering Summer afternoon. Truly a great memory. The only reasons I can't recreate it is because I lost the recipe for the boil, and also, I don't have an outdoor propane standstove.

If anyone has one, I want it.