• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Chinese Restaurants In The Triangle

Random Alias

There's a lot of Chinese restaurants here, and it's not for lack of trying, but so far I haven't found the right one.

It's been my experience that most of the Triangle's Chinese restaurants operate under the premise that there's no such thing as too much sauce (and please...don't skimp on the oil). Order something with beef and it's like eating Chinese style country fried steak smothered in an oily pool of brown gravy.

The best so far has been Peking Garden.

Any other suggestions or recommendations?

Preferably in Raleigh.

Preferably where oil isn't the primary ingredient of every dish.

Thanks.

First of all, R.A., welcome to eGullet!! We look forward to your posts.

The selection of Chinese restaurants in the Triangle is somewhat limited, but the increased demand for something outside the typical Chinese-American options is beginning to have results in the opening of more sophisticated places.

A couple of places in downtown Raleigh -- Five Star and The Duck & Dumpling -- may be fun places to visit. These restaurants are much more stylish than your standard place, and the food is certainly a step above the norm.

I have not been there, but Chapel Hill's Lantern has been considered by some critics to be the best example of pan-Asian fare in the State. This isn't necessarily "fusion" cuisine, as it is primarily a Chinese restaurant with only a touch of European influence.

As far as the traditional Chinese establishments are concerned, consider the following, in addition to the Peking Garden, but ask for the authentic Chinese menu! Orient Garden in Cary, China One in RTP (also the best dim sum), and Fortune Palace on Brentwood Rd. in North Raleigh.

Please be sure to report back here with anything you discover!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I think 5-Star is the best Chinese food in town, and it is a pretty cool place too.

My wife would eat Asian food 7 days a week, and, although it is a chain, she loves P.F. Chiang at the mall. It is not a venue I like, and it is always ridiculously crowded, but the food is pretty good.

I have only been 1 or 2 times, but I was underwhelmed by Duck and Dumpling.

I, too, keep hearing great things about Lantern, but I have not been there.

Thanks for the replies.

Quck links for anyone wanting more info on the mentioned restaurants

The Lantern

Fortune Palace

Orient Garden

Five Star

Duck And Dumpling

China One

PF Changs

I've been to PF Changs, and I think my wife and her co-workers go to China One for lunch every now and again. Five Star and Duck and Dumpling I've read about, the others are all new. The Lantern sounds like a good pick, but not necessarily an every day type of Chinese Restaurant.

I'll try some of them out and let all y'all know how it went.

My wife is outof town this weekend so I probably won't be trying any of the suggested restaurants until she returns, but....

....After dropping her off at the airport, I had to run to PetSmart to pick up some chow for the dog and noticed a new Chinese restaurant called New Asia. This is located in a new shopping center off Glenwood (70) near Alexander.

Three word review: Don't Go There

It's 50/50 take out and dine in. so I picked up something to go, and I just finished throwing it out. I wish I had my digital camera (my wife took it with her) so I could have taken a picture. Considering my description from above, it was comical how much oil was pooled on top of the half inch deep puddle of brown sauce. And the shrimp, mmmmm, the shrimp had that lovely just out of the sea iodine flavor that you don't often get to enjoy this far from the coast. I choked down two bites before I decided my health was worth more than $7.

On the positive side, New Asia also has a Sushi bar. Obviously with shrimp like that, I can't wait to tuck into a big ol' plate of their Nigiri Sushi. I've already got it penciled into my schedule; I managed to squeeze it in between a last phone call to my parents and my appointment with death via food poisoning.

.....The Salmon mousse!