• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Osteria del Gusto in Cliffside Park

Hank

This Italian restaurant was recently given three stars by Patricia Mack of the Bergen Record. Has anyone been and if so what are your thoughts? Ms. Mack supposedly called it a "gem". I pray she is right. Lord, we need a few gems around here. Enough already of mediocrity.

Hank

As has been discussed in depth on Egullet, the Bergen Record reviews ane consistently unreliable. They have a habit of raving about very mediocre places.

In your area, I love Cafe Boulevard in Fort Lee, Creative American with a most stunning ambience; China 46 in Ridgefield has been highly touted on the forums, and you could venture over into Englewood to Saigon Republic. Italian restaurants in that area are for the most part little better than an Olive Garden.

Have you been to Big Red Tomato in Fort Lee? Not bad for a glorified pizza parlor.

Well, six of us went tonight and we were all completely baffled how the reviewer could possibly give this restaurant three stars. Appetizers were nomally okay but the main courses were terrible including totally inept service that actually had us making jokes.

Four of us ordered fish and two had chicken dishes which were all very overcooked and dried out, which we could only start to eat after we twice had to ask for silverware. Five friends sitting at a nearby table told us on their way out that they would not ever go back.

Alas, my hope for a very good Italian rest. in our area is still kaput. Hopefully this is the last time that I will allow myself to be fooled by the Bergen Record reviewing staff. I will cross the bridge, spend $30.00 more but will speak for days about the wonderful meal we had at such and such and consider myself very smart to have driven the few extra miles.

Hank

In regards to finding a Manhattan quality fine Italian restaurant in Bergen County, the word Quixotic comes to mind.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

In regards to finding a Manhattan quality fine Italian restaurant in Bergen County, the word Quixotic comes to mind.

True, but its a bit harsh to compare them all to Olive Garden. There may be some genuine 2 starers, although a 3 does seem outright impossible.

The continued popularity of "Big Red Tomato" does puzzle me as well, though. I drove by the place regularly for about six years, noticing the large crowds but not going in. Finally, a year or two back I DID go in, and now I'm even more confused. The Pizza King in Abbott Plaza a few blocks away is better and that IS an actual Pizza place. :wacko:

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

JHLurie, would you like to list a few Italian rest. in Bergen county that you feel deserve two stars. As far as the Big Red Tomato is concerned you are absolutely correct. We went once, also because of the ever present lines to get into the rest. and our only comment was that we would never go back. It was so bad it could not have had just a "bad night". Since then many of our friends have had the same experience. They did close in Fort Lee and opened in Englewood and are not doing as well there if in fact they are still there.

Hank

Hank, insiders are telling me that the old DaMora on Piermont Road in Norwood, has reopend under the name DiNora. The initial food reports are good. The restaurant is still new.

edit: FWIW

Nick

Edited by ngatti (log)

Hank, please try Cafe Boulevard on Abbott Blvd in Fort Lee. A stunningly gorgeous environment, pleasant staff, and very creative food. Not Italian, but a good, under-reported restaurant in your area. (The Record probably wouldn't like it).

In our quest to find a very good restaurant in our area(aside from Bennies, Saigon Republic and the Wild Ginger in Englewood) we decided to go by Menton's1 suggestion and try Cafe Boulevard. Well, Menton, to call this stunningly georgeous is just beyond the pale but I will not elaborate on that since decor does not dictate good or bad food. For your information this space used to be a kosher deli and the only thing they changed was build a bar where the deli counter once was and they added a little brick. The dining area remains exactly as it was for the deli. Yes, the service was friendly. Now to the food.

My wife ordered a salmon napoleon. Some smoked (salty) salmon that was layered between what looked to be giant chips (out of a box) of some sort with a very poor rendition of what was probably an attempt at creme fraishe. My wife ate the samon and left the rest. Could not blame her. Yuk. I ordered the fried calamari. The moment I saw my plate I realized that I was in trouble. The calamari were dark brown and any decent chef will tell you that that is the result due to old and too often used oil. I manged a quarter of the plate and am still sorry. GREASY.

For mains my wife ordered a pasta dish with stir fried vegetables and shrimp at an extra $5.00. The shrimp were about the size of your nail on your pinky, were very tough and without question came from a can. You could count the pieces of vegetables on one hand. Most of the dish was spaghetti in a horrible sauce that we are still trying to figure out what was in it. Actually we really don't want to know. I ordered the hanger steak which came in a terribly cloyingly sweet sauce that for me was inedible. I could have asked the waiter to put the meat on a clean plate without the sauce but at that point we were so disgusted we could not wait to pay the bill. $79.00 which included a bottle of $28.00 Oregon Pinot and tax. With tip $93.00.

Once in the car I made my wife a solemn promise that we would never go to another rest. in the Englewood, Fort Lee,Tenafly area with the exception of the three aforementioned rest. From now on she has my word that we either drive across the bridge or to Ridgewood.

Ngatti, both my daughters and their husbands (who live close to this rest.) made me promise not to waste their inheritance on this rest. DaMora , which was open a very short time because it was so bad and now this DiNora they say is just as bad.

Hank