• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ugli Fruit

vengroff

I just picked up an ugli fruit at the market today. I hadn't heard of these before but it looked like a form of grapefruit so I figured I'd give it a try. It turns out Ugli is a brand name, and their web page claims it has the best qualities of a grapefruit, tangerine, and seville orange. I suppose that means it's going to be a little sweeter than I would have expected.

Anyone had one of these before? What should I expect?

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I bought ugli fruits last year. They were, you'll not be surprised to learn, a lot like sweet grapefruits. They're a fairly mild, pleasantly sweet citrus.

I ate mine straight, using both my hands and a spoon, and I never figured out which way worked better. The thin skin and asymmetry of the things baffled me. I suppose, however, you could use them in sauces and salsas or to infuse liquor. ...I seem to remember marinating tuna in ugli juice at one point, though that may have been an idea that never came to fruition (no pun intended).

There some more information way down this page.

My only qualm is that I'm beginning to see them marketed as "uniq fruits," a bit of preciousness that kinda makes me want to vomit. :rolleyes:

Edited by fimbul (log)

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Its a Jamaican grapefruit. We had one about a week or so ago, its not bad. Really easy to peel too.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

In other words it tastes nothing like a grapefruit?

No, no. It's just like a grapefruit, just without that characteristic grapefruit bitterness....

So, yeah, not too much like a grapefruit.

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Well, not all grapefruits are bitter. Even Florida grapefruits are pretty sweet, especially the Ruby Reds.

Jamaican Grapefruits and Uglifruits however, are characterically sweet. In Jamaica, a popular beverage is Ting, a soda made from the Jamaican grapefruit. I get it here sometimes at caribbean groceries and jamaican patty bakeries.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host