• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

soft shell crabs

BeaChambers

Ok. I know soft shell crabs are not in season yet, but once they are, any thoughts on the best restaurants for them? My favorite, a dump in Long Valley, is kaput and replaced by Gulf Coast (which we hated). Thanks.

Bea :cool:

Bea---NJ

They are just coming into season now but are very expensive. I love them in a beer batter and deep fried. Have had them like that at Blue Sky. Had soft shell crabs this week at Basilico that were nut crusted. Yummmmmmm!

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Wondee's in Hackensack (Thai) does a wonderful soft shell crab dish. They are deep fried and you have your choice of sauces. I like the Penang curry or the Sweet & Sour (?) which is not like typical Chinese Sweet & Sour.

they have one that i don't think is listed anywhere. it is topped with fried basil. quite delicious.

wondee's did serve these well after the season was over, so i'm assuming they are frozen, and might very well be frozen even when *in* season. but, they're good.

Edited by tommy (log)

Yes, it is a special, but is often available.

*what* is a special and is often available. :unsure:

my assumption is that they're *all* special. my point was that they're available many months out of the year that they shouldn't be.

The season has been stretched. Probably due to demand. I served my first ones last week (fresh, but from Florida).

Very expensive: $55.00/dozen at the wholesale. That's pricey.

I guess the season gets a rolling start, beginning in the deep south and moving north. I've had em fresh into August but this years March offerings are by far the earliest I have seen them.

Rachel is right. The Wondee's special is quite dreamy.

Nick

The absolute best soft shell crabs I ever had was sitting at the counter at Runners Fish Market in Lavallette in July, they were so fresh, and were cooked right in front of you as you sat at the tiny counter. A close second was at one of the booths at the Seafood Festival in June at Belmar.

Edited by menton1 (log)