• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liqueurs

Jason Perlow

interesting....I seem to have run across at least two brands of elderflower syrup in NY...and it seems to be in every gourmet grocery store here: Dean & Deluca, Garden of Eden etc.

The Vegas winning cocktail was the Wet Spot by the bartenders at the now defunct B.E.D. NY. its a pretty decent drink once you tamper down the sweetness (it's cloying as written).

interesting....I seem to have run across at least two brands of elderflower syrup in NY...and it seems to be in every gourmet grocery store here: Dean & Deluca, Garden of Eden etc.

Do you remember the name of the brand other than D'Arbo?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks to others for also pointing out the new St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

The Vegas winning cocktail was the Wet Spot by the bartenders at the now defunct B.E.D. NY.  its a pretty decent drink once you tamper down the sweetness (it's cloying as written).

Odd. Yup, aside from their (excellent) jams, D'Arbo products are not carried very widely here. I only know of two retailers (John Walker and Co. and Rainbow Grocery) in San Francisco that carry their syrups, and both of them were sold out of the Elderflower the last time I checked.

I was also recently talking to a bartender who was saying they hesitated to put a drink with Elderflower on their menu because they were having a hard time keeping the syrup available as an ingredient.

Maybe it's a distribution thing.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Interesting.

I don't remember the names of the brands that I've seen off hand....I'll check what I have at home tonight.

for whatever reason it appears to be widely distributed here. do they use it in coffee?

The Vegas winning cocktail was the Wet Spot by the bartenders at the now defunct B.E.D. NY.  its a pretty decent drink once you tamper down the sweetness (it's cloying as written).

Odd. Yup, aside from their (excellent) jams, D'Arbo products are not carried very widely here. I only know of two retailers (John Walker and Co. and Rainbow Grocery) in San Francisco that carry their syrups, and both of them were sold out of the Elderflower the last time I checked.

I was also recently talking to a bartender who was saying they hesitated to put a drink with Elderflower on their menu because they were having a hard time keeping the syrup available as an ingredient.

Maybe it's a distribution thing.

I've seen and purchased the d'Arbo syrups in a bunch of different places, "down on the Peninsula". Draeger's and Andronico's have the syrups and I thought Whole Foods did too... It's not as convenient, but you can order it online as well.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 2 weeks later...

The scariest thing I have ever tasted is a german spirit called topinambor - it's made from jerusalem artichokes and is fiercer than you would believe possible at, I think 55%. I used to work for a German man and it's a speciality of his village - apparently everyone lives to about 200 because of the llife lenthening liquor - I reckon it's just the preservative nature of the alcohol !

www.diariesofadomesticatedgoddess.blogspot.com

I am SO SO glad to have found this thread, and I hope someone can help!

A couple of years ago, while visiting Sicily, my dad and I tried a prickly pear (or some sort of cactus) liqueur. It was sweet and sort of tropical tasting. It was a bit like Lemoncello in color (yellowish) and viscosity, and served very cold.

Both he and I have been searching for a name, an online source...anything! The one we tried came a beautiful blue bottle. No luck in 6 years.

I would love to be able to get some for him, he would be so surprised. Any ideas?

update:

elderflower cordial is also available in the U.S...not a syrup per se...so for syrups I guess it's just D'Arbo.

D'Arbo elderflower syrup is widely available in CA apparently (and across the country)...they sell it at Ikea.

Has anyone figured out how to get these fabulous finds home from a trip now that we're only allowed 3 ounces of liquid in carry-on luggage? Ever since a bottle of Vietnamese rice wine broke apart in my checked luggage, I'm a bit reluctant to pack anything...

Has anyone figured out how to get these fabulous finds home from a trip now that we're only allowed 3 ounces of liquid in carry-on luggage? Ever since a bottle of Vietnamese rice wine broke apart in my checked luggage, I'm a bit reluctant to pack anything...

See this topic on carrying wine in your check-in baggage.

I bought some styrofoam beverage containers that someone in that topic mentioned. They take up a fair bit of room in my suitcase, but when I know I'm going to bringing back wine or some other liquid held in glass (olive oil, for example) from a trip, I bring them along. They work like a charm.

Now if only someone could find some of these things that will work with some of those odd-shaped bottles of liqueurs...

I travel frequently with spirits in my checked luggage, packing the goods in those Built NY bags and surrounding with clothing. I've never had a break in my rollaway bag.

If you're bringing bottles from abroad, be careful that checked luggage weight limits are falling and being more strictly enforced. Some airlines go by total weight, others on a piece limit.

does anyone know if i can use a refractometer to measure the sugar contents of common liqueurs so i can match them precisely in the versions i make?

i'm trying to take my liqueur making techniques to higher levels by studying products on the market and measuring their vital statistics.... sugar, ph, alcohol, etc....

i usually always cut my sugar contents below other products but am still seeking definitive comparisons.

for any fruit liqeuer that might be used on the bar i'm trying to make a years supply when the particular fruit is in season and have it canned and ready to go.

my blackberry shrub with black tea cultivated by sherpas is the chronic.... but i want to know exactly how it compares to chambord (diff. fruit i know) beyond just my qualitative taste comparisons.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

does anyone know if i can use a refractometer to measure the sugar contents of common liqueurs so i can match them precisely in the versions i make?

i'm trying to take my liqueur making techniques to higher levels by studying products on the market and measuring their vital statistics.... sugar, ph, alcohol, etc....

i usually always cut my sugar contents below other products but am still seeking definitive comparisons.

for any fruit liqeuer that might be used on the bar i'm trying to make a years supply when the particular fruit is in season and have it canned and ready to go.

my blackberry shrub with black tea cultivated by sherpas is the chronic.... but i want to know exactly how it compares to chambord (diff. fruit i know) beyond just my qualitative taste comparisons.

I don't see why not. I know some of the bakers over in the eGullet baking forum use them to get the sugar level exactly right for their sorbets. You might ask in that forum about judging sugar levels in solutions with a refractometer, if you want a definitive answer.

Blackberry and tea shrub does sound great. Wish I weren't on the Left Coast of America or I'd be on the other side of your bar right now asking for one.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I am SO SO glad to have found this thread, and I hope someone can help!

A couple of years ago, while visiting Sicily, my dad and I tried a prickly pear (or some sort of cactus) liqueur. It was sweet and sort of tropical tasting. It was a bit like Lemoncello in color (yellowish) and viscosity, and served very cold.

Both he and I have been searching for a name, an online source...anything! The one we tried came a beautiful blue bottle. No luck in 6 years.

I would love to be able to get some for him, he would be so surprised. Any ideas?

Looks like there is one from Malta called Bajtra.

Bajtra Website

Or I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to make. Soak a pound or so of cut up prickly pears fruit in 4 cups of vodka for a month or so, adjust sweetness with 2-1 sugar syrup, and chill.

Though, do be careful of those tricky little spines when you're cleaning the fruit!

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 3 years later...

I have a possibly strange question. My gf has a small still-sealed container of Pruneaux that looks to contain about 1 oz of the liqueur and a whole prune. She says shes had it for at least 20 years but isn't saving it for any particular reason. What I want to know is, is it likely to be safe for consumption? I wouldn't be worried about the booze being a problem but with it also containing an actual prune I'm a tiny bit cautious. I don't have an actual use for it at this time but curiosity is nagging at me.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Good point. Now I just need to think of a way to use it. I haven't really ventured into the creating aspect of drinks and cocktails yet and I don't even know if this is something that is worth working with in the first place.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I'm thinking about trying it in this from the Stomping Through the Savoy thread:

Elk Cocktail

1/2 Prunelle Brandy

2 Dashes French Vermouth

1/2 Dry Gin

Shake well and strain into cocktail glass. Garnish with a prune.

Best case, it's tasty. Worst case, it goes down the sink. Ok, I guess worst case would be a night on the thunder bucket if the prune proves to be a mistake. Of course I may just chicken out altogether.

I'm coming into this discussion late - I apologize. In a trip to Cancun several years ago, I discovered Xtabentun (shta-been-toon) a wonderful liquer made from Honey and Anise. I personally think it's amazing. It's a bit difficult to get in the States, but it is available - just google it and a couple of internet dealers will pop up.

It's not very expensive, but, it's delicious. On our last trip to Mexico, I kept the bartenders busy making Pina Colada's with both Rum and Xtabentun. We ended up calling it a Mayan Colada

I could swear that I saw Agavero mentioned somewhere in an eGullet cocktail, but searching didn't find it.

I bought a bottle in St John. It's 100% agave (a mix of resposado and anejo) tequila infused with Damiana flowers (and citrus, I think), sweetened. 64 proof. I used it as the triple sec in a Margarita and liked it. I believe it is available in the US, but I've never seen it in MA.

The woman in the store said it was her favorite and that she drank it straight. It's pretty sweet for that, IMO.

And, no, I didn't notice any of the claimed aphrodisiac properties. :wacko:

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

I was at a holiday party last night and found a bottle of Sint Maarten Old Man Guavaberry Liqueur: http://www.guavaberry.com/guavaberry.htm

It was open and I suspect it had been for some time. It smelled like Cherry Heering, so I made a version of Gilroy with rum and guavaberry. Pretty good.

I wonder if it has a vibrant fruit flavor when fresh, or if it is intended to be sort of oxidized / complex tasting.

I haven't had a bottle of creme de cacao since I was in my early 20's. I've been wanting to make a real 20th C. Cocktail, as I've been sub'ing Meletti and I wanted to compare the two.

I just could not reach down to the bottom shelf (Dekuyper, Hiram Walker) to buy the stuff. I just can't imagine it improving any drink I might want to try it in.

I was thinking that maybe I'd try to find the Mozart dry chocolate spirit and use that (with simple, as needed). I haven't found it yet, but a dry, bitter chocolate spirit appeals to me. I also have Bittermen's mole bitters to help.

What are people using for creme de cacao? Should I hunt down Marie Brizzard, or is there a better option such as the above?

I haven't had a bottle of creme de cacao since I was in my early 20's. I've been wanting to make a real 20th C. Cocktail, as I've been sub'ing Meletti and I wanted to compare the two.

I just could not reach down to the bottom shelf (Dekuyper, Hiram Walker) to buy the stuff. I just can't imagine it improving any drink I might want to try it in.

I was thinking that maybe I'd try to find the Mozart dry chocolate spirit and use that (with simple, as needed). I haven't found it yet, but a dry, bitter chocolate spirit appeals to me. I also have Bittermen's mole bitters to help.

What are people using for creme de cacao? Should I hunt down Marie Brizzard, or is there a better option such as the above?

Brizzard is quite good, but honestly I don't think there's anything wrong with using DeKuyper in something like a 20th Century. Wouldn't drink it straight, but I doubt a change of brand would make me want to do that.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

I've got a bottle of a terrific Cocoa Nib Liqueur from Bittercube...no idea if/when/where it's going to be distributed, though I have seen their bitters popping up for sale in liquor stores both large and small across the Midwest lately.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour