• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Miso

nerissa

I currently have 2 kinds of miso in the fridge, red and mild miso--they have Japanese written on the packaging, so I am pretty sure from taste that is what they are?

What do you use miso for, other than for miso soup?

I used it for a glaze for chicken the other day...have used it on white fish as a glaze and eggplant.

I love the stuff...great for making soups when you have leftovers kicking around.

Miso (white) with chopped kaffir lime leaves and some mirin is spectacular on simple white fish (sauteed or baked); fish like sea bass or halibut. Very flavorful.

Edited by fyfas (log)

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

torakris- I saw that thread when I did a search. I was hoping to discuss beyond certain favorite kinds, though I did see your post on what you use miso for.

Stirfries-at what point do you add it? At the beginning or at the end to coat your veggies/meats?

Fyfas--that sounds very interesting. I certianly would have never put kaffir lime leaves with miso, but it does sound like the two would go together nicely!

I like to use the miso/sake/mirin glaze on black cod, marinated overnight

and wiped off before grilling. Does anyone have a suggestion for side

dishes that would go nicely with the miso glaze. It also isn't very

wine friendly, any help?

For stirfrying I mix it with the other sauce ingredients (soy, mirin, etc) and add it at the end of stirfrying.

Maybe tommorrow I will try to post some recipes.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I was at a Japanese restaurant that had a salad with a dressing that tasted like a mixture of guacamole and miso...anyone ever had anything like that?  It was really good.

Yes, I've done that. With mirin to help mix the avacado and miso together, then ponzu and wasabi to taste. I've done things like serve it on tuiles with a bit of tuna tartare.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I was at a Japanese restaurant that had a salad with a dressing that tasted like a mixture of guacamole and miso...anyone ever had anything like that?  It was really good.

Yes, I've done that. With mirin to help mix the avacado and miso together, then ponzu and wasabi to taste. I've done things like serve it on tuiles with a bit of tuna tartare.

This sounds incredible! I have never had anything like it.

shiro-miso?

Yum... getting hungry...

I've had the black miso at Nobu and made it myself as well... do wipe off the excess or its too strong. For vegetarians - i love to do the same to grilled japanese eggplant halves.

I also agree that miso is a bit wine unfriendly but goes well with sake of course.

I love it on dressings as well and the dressing itself (sambal, miso, rice vinegar, pickled ginger, grapeseed oil, s/p, sugar and a bit of sesame oil) is glorious on heart of palm, avocado, shrimp.... or all of the above mixed in a salad...

gotta go get a snack!

I've had the black miso at Nobu and made it myself as well... do wipe off the excess or its too strong.  For vegetarians - i love to do the same to grilled japanese eggplant halves.

dengaku (grilled egglants smeared with miso).......................yum!

This same miso is also great on konnyaku, also grilled!

---Sorry, Jin :biggrin: