• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Udipi Review

I used to love this rest in VA, Udipi. In fact i have even recommended it. Now I feel like I need to eat my words.. I have been there twice in the last few weeks and the food is nothing short of horrible.

Last night we ordered the Vadas (lentil fritters)-- they arrived SOAKED in oil.. I am not kidding you, there must have been about 2 tablespoons of oil on my plate along with the fritters.

Then the Semolina Stiry fry -- uncooked and it smelled really bad

Then we tried the Dosa.. not ready to give up yet. I bite of the dosa and I gave up. The filling lacked any sort of spice, including salt

Still hungry, we ordered desserts. Well you get the picture ...

So I take back my recommendation of this place. We tried to talk to the wait staff, who looked at me as if I were from another planet.

Maybe they were having an off day, but it was one too many for me

Sorry if this offends anybody,

MOnica

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Ohhh, sorry to hear.

I never went to Udupi while I was living in DC. But, now that I am in Chicago, we go the one on Devon Ave. at least once a month. And it is always wonderful...except the masala filling was not that well spiced. My boyfriend had the tomato, chile,and onion uddapam which was fantastic--better than usual.

Have you tried Amma's in Georgetown?

I presume this is different from Udupi Palace, which is an all-vegetarian restaurant with twin locations in Langley Park, MD (near DC) and Chicago, IL. Where is this place located? Sorry about your terrible experiences.

• 2 weeks later...