• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baltimore Get-together

Varmint

Since it's impossible to get anyone down to North Carolina for eGullet get togethers, I need to go to other towns. This time, we're meeting in Baltimore. There's been DC and New York events, so let's do one in this fine city. We're doing this at a god-awful time, of course: Wednesday, April 2.

Malawry has promised to attend. Who else is interested? We're currently considering Black Olive, a fine greek seafood establishment and Charleston, which features a contemporary southern style cuisine. However, we're open to other suggestions. Hell, if enough folks want to make the road trip, we can start looking at crab opportunities as well.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Any interest in a late lunch followed by a trip to the see the Orioles vs. Cleveland at the yards that night? It's the second game of the season, so it's not out of the question we'll get to see them with a winning record.

Sadly, my beloved Mariners don't visit until September.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Philadelphia's not all that far from Baltimore; I'm going to try to make it.

Are there any restaurants that cry out "Baltimore?" Restaurants one can only find in Baltimore? Restaurants that have been around since F.S. Key's music writing days? Just did a search and learned that Haussner's closed in 1999. But that kind of place.

I'm a pain in the ass when it comes to picking restaurants for get-togethers. I usually grumble about the choice, go along with the crowd and end up having a great time despite my misgivings... But driving 90 miles for contemporary southern cuisine in Baltimore, geeez.

I like Vengroff's idea though. Maybe crabcakes at the Lexington Market and onto Camden Yards for a ball game. Now that's true Baltimore. At least it is for this tourist from Philadelphia.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

If ya'll want to grab a Bawlmor bite and hit the game, you should! It sounds like a fun night. I won't be able to join you if you do this though, due to budgetary and time constraints. :sad:

Crab, baseball, Natty Bo's and Boog's barbecue??? Sounds great to me, but would there be any interest in doing that on Thursday rather than Wednesday? That way, Malawry and others who want to focus on food only can do that on Wednesday. I'm there from Tuesday to Friday afternoon, so I can do something several nights. I love this 2 for 1 deal!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

It looks as if we'll be doing crab and baseball on Thursday, April 3. Let me know if you'll be joining us, as we'll need to get tickets.

As far as Wednesday is concerned, we're still working on the plans. Right now, we're considering the Helmand, a great Afghan restaurant (Website), along with the choices above.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Crab, baseball, Natty Bo's and Boog's barbecue???  Sounds great to me, but would there be any interest in doing that on Thursday rather than Wednesday?  That way, Malawry and others who want to focus on food only can do that on Wednesday.  I'm there from Tuesday to Friday afternoon, so I can do something several nights.  I love this 2 for 1 deal!

I may be able to make it for lunch and baseball. Dinner is out though. :sad:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

If I could bum a ride down with someone else from Philly I'd be game. I still have to be in to work the next (mid)morning though, so I can't stay out and play too late. But if it were just an evening dinner and then back to Phila. I'd be totally psyched. Unfortunately, my car is committing suicide part by part :angry:, so long drives are out for me right now. Any other Philly folks up for this?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Katie-

Holly Moore has said he'd probably be coming down the second night, so perhaps you could get a ride from him. Wow, our numbers are growing!!

Or would you prefer to get a crew to come down for some awesome Afghan food (it really is quite good!)?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Well, the game isn't exactly a sellout yet. Ticketmaster is offering me club box seats on the 3rd base line (sec. 254) for $45 a pop. Excellent seats, and if my beloved Mariners were in town, I'd take them. Lower reserved, (sec 29) are $25. Upper box seats (sec 334) are $20. We could also drop down to below $10 for nosebleeds.

Currently, it's me, Varmint, Holly, hjshorter, and possibly KatieLoeb?

What is your preference for seating/pricing? I'll buy tickets for all who confirm via PM to me by Thursday 5pm.

Here's a map of the stadium:

4107s.gif

MadVal, Seattle, WA

...Or would you prefer to get a crew to come down for some awesome Afghan food (it really is quite good!)?

Let me see if some DDCers want to really live dangerously and want to do a mid-week roadtrip down to Baltimore for dinner. I need to find travel companions who have similar constraints in terms of getting back for the next morning at least. And Afghan sounds great! There's a cuisine we haven't explored yet!

I'll keep you informed... :smile:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

The Section 29 seats at 25 clams a pop would be fine with me, but I'd be happy in the cheap seats, too. One thing to remember is that Ticketmaster will gouge the hell out of you with service fees.

I've sat way up high behind home plate before, and it's a pretty cool view of downtown Bawlmor -- a bit too far from the good food, however!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

What is your preference for seating/pricing?  I'll buy tickets for all who confirm via PM to me by Thursday 5pm.

Lower reserved suck if they're under the box tier overhang. I'd be careful with that location. It's generally better to be somewhere between first and third.

It gets pretty cold in early April, so seats way up high might not be our best bet. :blink:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I think it makes sense to extend the deadline a bit. There are a lot of good seats left in almost all sections. The new confirmation deadline is Tue 18 March (one week from today) at 5pm, unless availability starts thinning out, in which case I will make a grab. Please confirm sooner rather than later to ensure you get in if this happens.

Edited by vengroff (log)

MadVal, Seattle, WA

OK - so what's the tentative schedule and time frame for this get together? What time is the game and at what hour will you be having dinner? Is the Wednesday evening "dinner only" option still available? Just let me know what's going on so I can clearly explain this to any folks up my way who might wish to accompany me down there. It all sounds like fun, but depending on the time it might be difficult for me to make it for the baseball game as well. I don't really have the option of ditching out of here too early on any given afternoon, but if there were an early evening dinner, it's entirely possible I could make it.

I also just found out that my boss has given his notice, so my personal stock either just went up or way down. Not quite sure which yet... :unsure:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Since I started this thread, I'll go ahead and set the tentative plans:

Wednesday, April 2

7:00 PM Dinner at The Helmand -- great Afghan food

Thursday, April 3

App. 4:30-ish PM Dinner at Faidley's in Lexington Market -- CRABCAKES!

7:05 PM Baltimore Orioles v. Cleveland Indians -- Oriole Park at Camden Yards

The only thing set in stone right now is the time of the baseball game and the fact that we want Faidley's crabcakes. The time that we eat can move depending on the majority's opinion. Lexington Market is a food lovers' destination in and of itself.

Come for one night or two! Let me know about The Helmand, as I'll make dinner reservations later this month.

PM Vengroff with baseball ticket requests. Faidley's is pretty darned casual.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites