• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

London: The belly of the beast

Food Manufacture: There are still extant smokeries in London. This one should be fairly easy,a spot of history, a trek round the mile end road, who they supply, a kipper for breakfast.

In the mid-19thC there were apparently around 800 slaughterhouses in (&under) the City of London. I'm not feeling that abbatoir-ready yet - but that's a possible angle.

In an attempt to re-experience the early 1970's I will, at a date to be decided, perform the Peter Langan Memorial Lunch. This will I hope avoid self-immolation but should include passing a Cork St gallery, pointing at an academic nude, then walking in to demand 'The Fuck pic'.

There is apparently a book by Julian Maclaren-Ross's publisher, Dan Davin, called 'Closing Time'. That should do me for some hints on austerity drinking. Will probably do for my liver too - Lunch like Louis Macneice, Dine like Maclaren Ross, Die like Dylan Thomas.

Inter-war years are trickier. There's Veeraswamy of course. What are the vestiges of the Lyon's corner houses - there used to be a Chinese restaurant on Wardour St. called 'Ley-ons' which was the metamorphosis of one. Nye Bevan used to drink at the Cafe Royal - and some of the great hotels must have had a refurb at that time. Hitler's favourite building in London was 'Whiteleys' (followed by the Senate house).

Wilma squawks no more

.. - there used to be a Chinese restaurant on Wardour St. called 'Ley-ons' ...

Oh no, don't tell me that closed down :sad:

El Vino in Fleet Street has a 1970s claim to fame, they tell me. Probably more grubby press money changed hands there than even Jeffrey Archer handled in his life.

What about Rawalpindi in Wimbledon Village ? Famous early Indian resto - is it still there ? Bombay Brasserie too. Schmidt's in Charlotte Street was a huge German restaurant much frequented by students and university staff. Now long gone, it used to serve what I believe they called "wholesome food" in vast quantities.

Ahhh, so much nostalgia, so little time ....

War's a good period: Though the obvious exploration of this by living on powdered egg & a quarter oz. of cheese, going out to drink oneself senseless is less than tempting.

Edit: Deleted reference to wartime sexual habits

Edited by Gavin Jones (log)

Wilma squawks no more

Anybody remember the original Topo Gigio?

Also there was a really good Italian next to Peter Evans owned by the same people as Sale e Pepe. Can't remember the name but it's not there now, pity.

There is still a Topo Gigio near The Glass Blower. is that the original? It has been there as long as I have been in London

S

There is still a Topo Gigio near The Glass Blower.  is that the original?  It has been there as long as I have been in London

S

No Simon, the original goes way back, it was tiny, noisy, crowded but good fun. I think it was located at Piccadilly Circus. Since then I've been to the newer one in Old Compton Street, is that the one you mean? If so, it just wasn't the same unfortunately.

Unless there's been a recent change, you'll find Topo Gigo on Brewer Street, not Old Compton Street.

Good luck on chasing down the Dan Davin book, Gavin. The London Library's copy has been elusive recently. Lovely chapter on McClaren-Ross called "Goodnight, Julian, everywhere" - a play on the phrase with which BBC radio once closed it's children's programming every evening, "Goodnight, children, everywhere".

I used to know which premises on Old Compton Street used to be the 2 I's, but my memory is fallible. I think it's where Cafe Espana is - if it still calls itself that.

The coffee bar where Tommy Steele was "discovered" right?

That 's it. I went there for coffee a few times (it was one of the first "Espresso Bars" in London) but for some reason they didn't discover me. Tommy Steele was better looking, maybe ?

Wilfrid, it's on the south side of the street about four shops up from Wardour Street. I don't know what's there now.

Tidi Dolls ( sp?) anyone?

S

I agree about the 'new' Topo Gigio. At the old Topo Gigo food was 5 out of ten BUT the atmosphere was great.

I think it's Tilly Dolls and was mainly recommended by hotel concierges to Americans looking for a 'typical' Engligh dining experience. I've never been but it sounds awful.

Two new projects:

Food, Drink & Health:

Cholera is the obvious one, with a review of public drinking fountains, a wander round Broadwick St. and then a drink in the John Snow if it's still there.

Did London have TB Sanatoria (would have been to mid-20thC, what sort of diet was served?).

Reviewing the Reviewers: or Stalking Michael Winner,

Review meals in retaurants where Reviewers are dining - in particular review the dining habits & performance of teh Reviewer. e.g. Demanding Michael Winner's Table

Wilma squawks no more

Reviewing the Reviewers: or Stalking Michael Winner,

Review meals in retaurants where Reviewers are dining - in particular review the dining habits & performance of teh Reviewer. e.g. Demanding Michael Winner's Table

how are you going to know when and where they are? stalking Fay Maschler could lead you to another interesting project - sampling cuisine at Her Majesty’s Pleasure!

how are you going to know when and where they are?  stalking Fay Maschler could lead you to another interesting project - sampling cuisine at Her Majesty’s Pleasure!

I'd need a vast network of spies, of course.

Though Simon is better placed to carry out this project.

Surely our discussions of food reviewers would be much enhanced by an insight into their on-the-job performance.

Though a pity we have to rely on reportage for those who've retired such as Jonathan Meades.

Wilma squawks no more