• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

London: The belly of the beast

Am now holding copy of 'Closing Times'. Sourced via a connection of Anna Davin. Apparently people who knew Maclaren-Ross refer to him only by a smile.

I will be imbibing Fitzrovia shortly. I need to identify the 'Scala' in Charlotte St. as was...

Wilma squawks no more

Spooky. I was re-reading the chapter on Julian last night, my second hand copy having shown up in the mail. Lovely piece of writing. I had forgotten the extent to which I have clearly modelled by sartorial tastes on MacLaren-Ross's example, although I don't have the balls to wander around New York with my silver-headed cane (yes, I do have one).

As for La Scala, there's a map of MacLaren-Ross's Fitzrovia inside the covers of his Memories of the Forties. In case you don't have that at your finger tips, I'll make a note to look it up. It identifies the location of La Scala and other haunts. You do realise the "Beerhouse" is still there, but now called something else. It's built over a little passage way in the street which runs north from Rathbone Place parallel to, but west of, Charlotte Street. At the top of that road is the Duke of York(?) - the hangout of the polo-necked types Julian called "the slithy toves".

Come to think of it, how about a Fitzrovia pub crawl next week. I might be available. :cool:

Edited by Wilfrid (log)

Come to think of it, how about a Fitzrovia pub crawl next week.  I might be available.  :cool:

I'm in. And what about also popping over to that other place for a meal at that other place, neither of which may we mention just at the moment thank you.

You do realise the "Beerhouse" is still there, but now called something else.  It's built over a little passage way in the street which runs north from Rathbone Place parallel to, but west of, Charlotte Street.

isn't that the place where scenes from the incredibly creepy 'peeping tom' were filmed?

m