• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Replacement for Pourquoi Pas?

coquille

I loved Pourquoi Pas.  I miss Pourquoi Pas.  I loved its cuisine, its BYO policy, its charm, and its changing regional and seasonal menus.  Is there any place anyone knows of that has any potential of being a replacement?

oh the brilliant La Carbonaia took over its spot. :biggrin:

that part of bergen county, unfortunately, just as very little to offer. i went to cafe panache the other night, and realized that they are completely full of sh*t. that, i think, says something (to me) about the state of "french" or upscale dining in the area, as cafe panache is well-respected (and byo).

i like the Chef's Table, which is in franklin lakes (i think?). the chef is claude, formerly of Claude's Ho-Ho-Kus in (which as you probably know is across the street from the old pour quoi pas? in claude's new family run restaurant, he has done away with the pretense, and got right down to basic french (if not bistro french) cooking. some hate the stripmall atmosphere, but i find it charming. and it's BYO. :smile:

i went to cafe panache the other night, and realized that they are completely full of sh*t. 

Would you mind elaborating why you feel this way?

walking away, i felt that i could have cooked everything that they did. and i pretty much have. service was pleasant, although there were numerous service faux pas. the staff, while obviously well trained in many areas, fell short in others (reaching over, serving from all angles, and i even got the ol' "who's having the..."). at this price point, it's simply unacceptable.

also, our party of 3 was told on the phone that we had 2 hours. this, i think, is standard for the restaurant, and a bit too aggressive. our meal was paced rather quickly (although i ordered a soup as a first course, followed by 2 others. we did, however, have a very fast dessert, and were out in just over 2 hours).

it's clubby/chummy there as well. i get the feeling they have lots of regulars. i have no problem with that, but there were too many air-kisses, and goddamnit they have no waiting area. methinks the well-healed in that area don't really know how to eat. :wink:

160 for 3 people before tip, one dessert, 2 coffees, BYO.

the restroom, however, is very nice.

Tommy--did you feel that the food was too expensive for what you got at Cafe Panache?

i don't often consider the price of dinner. i can't say that the place is outrageously priced, so i wasn't completely offended by the tab. however, i don't think they're firing on all cylinders. the food, i think, was pretty standard. as a comparison, one of my meal's at zarole in ridgewood was much better.

I loved its cuisine, its BYO policy, its charm, and its changing regional and seasonal menus.

I can think of a couple places that meet most of your criteria: Pierre's on Rt 303 in Harding/Morristown has the cuisine, charm (even though it is a large restaurant) and changing menus, but it's not BYO. Tim Schaefer's Cuisine in Morristown is BYO and has its own charm (not cutesy charm), BYO and has a changing menu, but it's not French Bistro.

Hmm, I never went to Pourquoi Pas, so I don't know exactly what I'm comparing to I guess. Good luck and I'm sorry you've lost one of your favorites, that's always hard.

Edit: What about Chez Dominique in Bergenfield? From the NYT review: French, "Cozy, charming bistro," BYO, "blackboard menus change regularly," "Prices are fairly high: you’ll spend at least $50 a person for three courses, tax and tip, plus whatever wine you carry in." but the classic dishes "are about as good as those dishes get."

If it helps with recommendations, I don't necessarily need my "replacement" to be in North Jersey - I'm actually in Central...

How about Le Rendez-vous in Kenilworth? When we discovered it not long after it first opened several years ago, we fell in love with it and had dinner there practically once a week for many months. Then, after not having been there for a very long time, a couple of weeks ago, we had dinner there again. We were the first to arrive at around 5:30, and Chef Sami, a lovely man, came out of the kitchen to welcome us back. He is at the top of his game, I think, and our meal was phenomenal from start to finish. It's a small, charming room, the wait staff is friendly and efficient, and it's BYO. Have a look at their web site:

Le Rendez-vous

i like the Chef's Table, which is in franklin lakes (i think?).  the chef is claude, formerly of Claude's Ho-Ho-Kus in (which as you probably know is across the street from the old pour quoi pas?  in claude's new family run restaurant, he has done away with the pretense, and got right down to basic french (if not bistro french) cooking.  some hate the stripmall atmosphere, but i find it charming.  and it's BYO.  :smile:

for what it's worth...

a recent review of the chef's table

• 3 weeks later...
If it helps with recommendations, I don't necessarily need my "replacement" to be in North Jersey - I'm actually in Central...

I didn't know Pourquoi Pas, so maybe it was something unusually good... but I've been pleased with Sophie's Bistro on Hamilton St. (Rte. 514, I think) in New Brunswick the couple of times I've been there. "Correct," as they say, though no more, with moderate prices. They do have a liquor license.

(There's a dance club in the back (The Den), but the two areas are pretty well divided (separate entrances) and the sound doesn't make it into the dining room, though you can detect a low "thump-thump-thump" if you're listening for it.)

i went to cafe panache the other night, and realized that they are completely full of sh*t. 

Would you mind elaborating why you feel this way?

the restroom is, however, very nice.

Makes it all worthwhile.

Edited by Double 0 (log)

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

I had a mixed experience at Latour in Ridgewood, recently. A beautiful looking restaurant, with very good French country food. The problem was, no one on the staff talks to you, nobody smiles. They do their job with cold efficiency, robotically. This gave me a peculiar feeling, like a jump into the future, sci-fi type dream. I guess we just need that third element, in addition to good food and beautiful ambience...

Perhaps if they became more social this could be your replacement....

I had a mixed experience at Latour in Ridgewood, recently.  A beautiful looking restaurant, with very good French country food.  The problem was, no one on the staff talks to you, nobody smiles.  They do their job with cold efficiency, robotically. This gave me a peculiar feeling, like a jump into the future, sci-fi type dream.  I guess we just need that third element, in addition to good food and beautiful ambience...

Perhaps if they became more social this could be your replacement....

i find this place absolutely ridiculous. they take themselves waaaay too seriously.