• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Obsession Week on FoodTV

seawakim

Emeril can be difficult to digest at times, however, I have never had a problem duplicating any of his recipes. I think he gears his show toward the average home cook and that makes him popular with a large percent of the population (he must have a very good PR person).

Also in his defense, I have to say that the meal I ate at Nola was one of the finest I've had anywhere and the presentation was superb (he limits his use of the powdered sugar garnish for the TV shows).

I am totally in agreement with you on the Emeril issue (even though I only watch if the ingredients are interesting). He is a "show" person when he is on TV but I also ate at NOLA and Delmonico's and both meals were superb. I never had a problem duplicating his recipes either.

As for the rest of the FoodTV, I said it before on another thread and will say it again: This is Food Network NOT Cooking Network. SO they do cater to a variety of tastes ranging from tourist stuff (best of, 40 dollars,..) to great cooking shows.

Among the good cooking shows that I DO watch are Molto Mario (if I'm home during that time), Jamie Oliver , Sara (I do think she is very sweet), Iron Chef and Jacques Torres on occasion. One show that I never miss is Altron Brown's "Good Eats". It doesn't matter if it is something I cooked hundreds of times or if it is a new experience I always watch it to see what Alton has to say about it (even though I might not agree with everything he says). It is always fun watching it.

Just for the record though, I do think that a FTV2 dedicated only to serious cooking is a great idea ( no more sitting through unwrapped and 40 dollars et al.)

My 2 cents

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

One show that I never miss is Altron Brown's "Good Eats". It doesn't matter if it is something I cooked hundreds of times or if it is a new experience I always watch it to see what Alton has to say about it (even though I might not agree with everything he says). It is always fun watching it.

Just for the record though, I do think that a FTV2 dedicated only to serious cooking is a great idea ( no more sitting through unwrapped and 40 dollars et al.)

My 2 cents

FM

Agreed. Alton Brown's show is just freakin awesome. Did you see the episode where he turned the gym locker into a meat smoker (I think Col Klink ought to build one)?

I like that he screws around with the science of cooking. But, then again, I'm a damn sucker for those campy food network shows. I admit I also love Iron Chef. Hubby and I have created a drinking game to the show. Whenever the vapid actress guest of the day giggles, we do a shot of jaegermeister. Last Friday, we got absolutely shif taced.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni