• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Countertop Double Burner non-induction cooktop and a "Griddler"?

Sid Post

I am looking to rebuild my house and have a sketchy cooktop today so, I am looking to get a reasonable quality double burner portable cooktop.  I think a sealed cast iron version would work best.  I have some aluminum pans so, induction options are totally out.  An open coil burner is a possibility but, in the past, I found them to be low quality overall and a pain to clean.

I won't be super critical with how it cooks but, it needs to be able to make omelets and do a hard sear on a pan steak.  Ideally, It would be in the under $100 range but, I am not opposed to spending more for the right unit.  If the price becomes too much though, I can always get a traditional stove and tie it into the barn's electric welder service for power.  I will also have a "Coleman" gas cooker to do simple things if power goes down during construction but, I don't want to live all Summer depending on a camping stove!

This is sort of what I am looking for: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JCECBNI

Would a "Griddler" or Foreman grill be a good complement?  I am unfamiliar with the newer versions of these but, older experiences were not good with the inability to pan sear a steak.  However, newer versions probably do a good panini and similar things.  My cast iron skillet can get screamin' hot for a good steak sear so, a Griddler might be superfluous for my needs and see little to no use.  Thoughts?

TIA,

Sid

Edited by Sid Post
Amazon link update (log)
  • Like 1

Here's the link. For  some reason the eG friendly link isn't working.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

Before we work on artificial intelligence, why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

22 hours ago, gfweb said:

That countertop hot plate doesn't look like it would accommodate  more than two smallish pans.  Would that fit your needs?

I live alone so, my basic daily needs are a single burner for breakfast and most lunch/supper meals.  The big burner is ~1300W so plenty of power for a cast iron skillet to sear a steak or to cook some ground meat for a skillet meal of some sort or various pasta themed meals.  The smaller burner would be fine for some oatmeal or hot tea and similar things.  I will also have my Breville Smart Oven to bake things.

The spacing is probably too tight to use both burners at the same time unless I am using small pans though.  That is a pretty common limitation with any dual burners I have seen.

Edited by Sid Post (log)
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sid Post said:

I live alone so, my basic daily needs are a single burner for breakfast and most lunch/supper meals.  The big burner is ~1300W so plenty of power for a cast iron skillet to sear a steak or to cook some ground meat for a skillet meal of some sort or various pasta themed meals.  The smaller burner would be fine for some oatmeal or hot tea and similar things.  I will also have my Breville Smart Oven to bake things.

The spacing is probably too tight to use both burners at the same time unless I am using small pans though.  That is a pretty common limitation with any dual burners I have seen.

Maybe two single burners that you could space more conveniently would work out better?

The BSO is a great partner for this. Its amazing what it can handle.

• Like 2