• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shel_B

Shel_B

typo

The result of my experiment was pretty good. It certainly provided proof of concept.

First, the pancetta didn't have as smooth a texture as the 'nudja that I purchased earlier.  However, after cooking down, the textures of the two were quite similar, both visually and in terms of mouth feel.

When I do this again, and there will be another attempt, I'll look for a little more fat from the pancetta.

The aroma when cooking the sauce was intoxicating.  The smoked pancetta's aroma in the sauce was subtle but very much in evidence.  It added a nice and somewhat special dimension to what was essentially a simple sauce.

I mixed the peppers in a 2:1 ratio of Calabrian peppers with the arbol.  The arbol added a nice depth to the sauce, and when the sauce was about done a final tasting revealed something more would be helpful.  I added some ground Kashmiri pepper and that turned out to be a pretty good guess.

Overall, the experiment was successful, and now some fine tuning with proportions are in order.  Nonetheless, the concoction made a very nice sauce although I wasn't thrilled with my choice of Rao's fusilli.  It was OK, but I think both Rustichella D'Abruzzo and DeCecco (of the brands in my pantry) would have been more satisfying.

Overall, I'm pleased with the result.

Shel_B

Shel_B

The result of my experiment was pretty good. It certainly provided proof of concept.

First, the pancetta didn't have as smooth a texture as the 'nudja that I purchased earlier.  However, after cooking down, the textures of the two were quite similar, both visually and in terms of mouth feel.

When I do this again, and there will be another attempt, I'll look for a little more fat from the pancetta.

The aroma when cooking the sauce was intoxicating.  The smoked pancetta's aroma in the sauce was subtle but very much in evidence.  It added a nice and somewhat special dimension to what was essentially a simple sauce.

I mixed the peppers in a 2:1 ration of Calabrian peppers with the arbol.  The arbol added a nice depth to the sauce, and when the sauce was about done a final tasting revealed something more would be helpful.  I added some ground Kashmiri pepper and that turned out to be a pretty good guess.

Overall, the experiment was successful, and now some fine tuning with proportions are in order.  Nonetheless, the concoction made a very nice sauce although I wasn't thrilled with my choice of Rao's fusilli.  It was OK, but I think both Rustichella D'Abruzzo and DeCecco (of the brands in my pantry) would have been more satisfying.

Overall, I'm pleased with the result.