• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Imitation 'Nduja for Pasta Sauce Idea

Shel_B

I'm going to try an experiment today: Home made imitation 'nduja to be used specifically in a pasta sauce.  Here's the plan.  What do you think? Any suggestions? 

I have a chub of locally made pancetta affumicata, some of which I'll dice and put in the freezer along with the bowl and blade of the food processor.  I've freshly toasted and ground two types of Calabrian peppers as well as some arbol peppers.  I've played with that combination in tomato-based pasta sauces and like the result. I'll dice/mince a clove or two of garlic, depending on size, and add that and the ground peppers to the cold pancetta, and just whirr the whole thing around until I get a texture that'll melt into the pasta sauce.

• Like 2

... Shel

I think it all sounds delicious! My take might be to chop the peppers and garlic more finely than the pancetta so there was a textural difference in the finished pasta, but that may not be what you're after. Let us know the final result!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I think it all sounds delicious! My take might be to chop the peppers and garlic more finely than the pancetta so there was a textural difference in the finished pasta, but that may not be what you're after. Let us know the final result!

The peppers have been ground in the spice grinder, so they are quite fine. FWIW, I've added a good amount of seeds to the mixture ... I love the intensity they contribute.  Anyway, the peppers will be fine enough to be lost in the pancetta.  I've done something like this before. 

I'll run the garlic through a press rather than dicing/mincing with a knife, as originally planned.  I agree that it's a good idea.

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel

Posted (edited)

The result of my experiment was pretty good. It certainly provided proof of concept.

First, the pancetta didn't have as smooth a texture as the 'nudja that I purchased earlier.  However, after cooking down, the textures of the two were quite similar, both visually and in terms of mouth feel.

When I do this again, and there will be another attempt, I'll look for a little more fat from the pancetta.

The aroma when cooking the sauce was intoxicating.  The smoked pancetta's aroma in the sauce was subtle but very much in evidence.  It added a nice and somewhat special dimension to what was essentially a simple sauce.

I mixed the peppers in a 2:1 ratio of Calabrian peppers with the arbol.  The arbol added a nice depth to the sauce, and when the sauce was about done a final tasting revealed something more would be helpful.  I added some ground Kashmiri pepper and that turned out to be a pretty good guess.

Overall, the experiment was successful, and now some fine tuning with proportions are in order.  Nonetheless, the concoction made a very nice sauce although I wasn't thrilled with my choice of Rao's fusilli.  It was OK, but I think both Rustichella D'Abruzzo and DeCecco (of the brands in my pantry) would have been more satisfying.

Overall, I'm pleased with the result.

Edited by Shel_B
typo (log)
  • Like 3

... Shel