• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stuck making a white chocolate spread

rukie

Posted (edited)

Hello, I've been doing a lot of research but cannot find a recipe that only uses ingredients similar to the store-bought below to make a white chocolate spread, I'm looking to store it at room temperature without it going off. I will put on toasted bread.

The main ingredients in the store-bought jar are sugar, canola oil, milk solids, cocoa butter, and emulsifiers and it doesn't need to be refrigerated. 

I thought it would be easy to make but boy I was wrong!! Maybe it's my ratios or my technique (I'm a total noob). I placed all the ingredients (melted cocoa butter) except for emulsifiers in a blender and blended it up although it doesn't emulsify together.. There is just a layer of the oil above the other powdered ingredients. Is it because I am missing the emulsifier liquid? I have never used it before.

1. Here's my recipe

sugar 40g

oil 30g

milk powder 20g

cacao butter 10g

My workaround to the recipe at the moment is to make a rich sugar syrup (2:1) first then add the rest of the ingredients on the stove and cook and mix till it's smooth. But not sure if this method will be shelf-safe cause of the added water. what do you guys think, will it be shelf stable? Does anyone have a recipe for white chocolate spread?

rich sugar syrup 40g

milk powder 20g

cacao butter 20g

oil 20g

Thank you!

Edited by rukie (log)

I'm not a pastry chef but my first thought would be to use glucose instead of the rich sugar syrup and that might help with the emulsification. Another option might be to add some letcithin as the emulsifier. 

Good Luck!

Does the original have a liquid ingredient?  It may simply be white chocolate softened with other fats.

On 5/15/2024 at 7:28 PM, rukie said:

sugar 40g

oil 30g

milk powder 20g

cacao butter 10g

I think there's too much oil relative to other ingredients.  Try adding more milk powder.

12 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Does the original have a liquid ingredient?  It may simply be white chocolate softened with other fats.

I think there's too much oil relative to other ingredients.  Try adding more milk powder.

Here's two jars I'm referencing off.

Screenshot_20240518-010938.png

Screenshot_20240518-010755.png

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Are you intent on making your own white chocolate?  I'm sticking with needs more solids.

Happy to use white chocolate as that would be easier:)

• Like 1

I think the solids that are missing might be the hazelnuts. That looks like a white chocolate version of Nutella or am I reading that label wrong?

On 5/17/2024 at 1:53 AM, AAQuesada said:

I'm not a pastry chef but my first thought would be to use glucose instead of the rich sugar syrup and that might help with the emulsification. Another option might be to add some letcithin as the emulsifier. 

Good Luck!

Yeah i wanna avoid glucose, as I read it's bad for health and also they add preservatives, but definitely might have to be my last resort. Got some liquid soy letcithin, let's see how it goes. 

Would liquid letcithin act like egg York? Im imagining I'll be like making a mayo but sweet.

• Like 1

If you stick with the original fat-based nature of the spread, emulsifiers won't help the fat layer.  The fat floating on top is just what fat does.  This happens to even highly refined chocolate left melted for a long time (at least a few days).  The solids settle and the fat floats.  White chocolate solids are the milk and sugar.

If you add water aka simple syrup, you're making ganache which shouldn't be that hard to emulsify.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rukie said:

Happy to use white chocolate as that would be easier:)

Then experiment with adding various fats and/or nut butters to white chocolate.  Your spread will be much smoother with the finer particle size of commercial white chocolate.  Since you're adding oil, it doesn't need to be a high fat couverture.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2024 at 12:00 PM, pastrygirl said:

If you stick with the original fat-based nature of the spread, emulsifiers won't help the fat layer.  The fat floating on top is just what fat does.  This happens to even highly refined chocolate left melted for a long time (at least a few days).  The solids settle and the fat floats.  White chocolate solids are the milk and sugar.

If you add water aka simple syrup, you're making ganache which shouldn't be that hard to emulsify.

I see in the second image, they add non fat milk, that is what helps with the emulsion?

15 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Then experiment with adding various fats and/or nut butters to white chocolate.  Your spread will be much smoother with the finer particle size of commercial white chocolate.  Since you're adding oil, it doesn't need to be a high fat couverture.

What other fats can be used? Yeah might have to resort to nut butters if I can't make white choc spread on its own.

On 5/18/2024 at 10:30 AM, AAQuesada said:

I think the solids that are missing might be the hazelnuts. That looks like a white chocolate version of Nutella or am I reading that label wrong?

Oh would those hazelnut help with the emulsion?

Its a different brand :)although not so nutty. Nutella has 13% hazelnuts.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rukie said:

I see in the second image, they add non fat milk, that is what helps with the emulsion?

If there's no water, there's no emulsion.  Milk powder is part of the white chocolate along with sugar and cacao butter.  Sometimes full fat, sometimes non, some makers add whey or butter.  Lecithin is used in chocolate production for fluidity purposes, not emulsification per se.