• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow

1 hour ago, MaryIsobel said:

Another that I had forgotten about. My mom used to make date bread; smeared with cream cheese and cut into fingers. Will definitely make this, thanks.

Yes, date and nut bread with a swipe of cream cheese! I'm fond of the KA recipe; the dates get soaked in hot coffee.  Another current favorite is Yossy Arefi's Simple Sesame Cake, which I don't consider a cake, as it isn't terribly sweet and gets cooked in a loaf pan. Another favorite is Doris Greenspan's Poppy Seed Tea Cake, which is really a quick sweet bread, also baked in a loaf pan. All three of these are delicious toasted and buttered for breakfast. As you probably figured out from my lack of posts in the breakfast thread, most of my morning meals are toast. I only cook once a day. Not that anyone asked, but my least favorite sweet breads on Earth are banana bread and pumpkin bread. And by least favorite I mean really hate.

Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow

1 hour ago, MaryIsobel said:

Another that I had forgotten about. My mom used to make date bread; smeared with cream cheese and cut into fingers. Will definitely make this, thanks.

Yes, date and nut bread with a swipe of cream cheese! I'm fond of the KA recipe. Another current favorite is Yossy Arefi's Simple Sesame Cake, which I don't consider a cake, as it isn't terribly sweet and gets cooked in a loaf pan. The dates get a  soak in hot coffee. Another favorite is Doris Greenspan's Poppy Seed Tea Cake, which is really a quick sweet bread, also baked in a loaf pan. All three of these are delicious toasted and buttered for breakfast. As you probably figured out from my lack of posts in the breakfast thread, most of my morning meals are toast. I only cook once a day. Not that anyone asked, but my least favorite sweet breads on Earth are banana bread and pumpkin bread. And by least favorite I mean really hate.