• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shel_B

Shel_B

Additional information

On 3/25/2024 at 11:01 AM, ElsieD said:

What makes this bay leaf so good?  I ask because I have 2  bay leaves left and need to buy more.  How do the prices of the bay leaves and oregano compare to the standard run-of-the-mill varieties?

@ElsieDWhile I found the bay leaves, I've not yet used any, but I can speak to prices.  I paid $3.95 for the package of oregano and $4.95 for the Bay leaves which, when compared to commercial and other "spice shop" prices makes it less expensive than some products based on cost per ounce.  However, the cost for these herbs depends greatly upon where you buy them.  I found Amazon, for example, to be more expensive than my local shops, but many people don't have local shops that carry such items.

Good luck in your quest, and please let us know what you ended up with.

Shel_B

Shel_B

Additional information

21 hours ago, ElsieD said:

What makes this bay leaf so good?  I ask because I have 2  bay leaves left and need to buy more.  How do the prices of the bay leaves and oregano compare to the standard run-of-the-mill varieties?

@ElsieDWhile I found the bay leaves, I've not yet used any, but I can speak to prices.  I paid $3.95 for the package which, when compared to commercial and other "spice shop" prices makes it less expensive than some products based on cost per ounce.  However, the cost for these herbs depends greatly upon where you buy them.  I found Amazon, for example, to be more expensive than my local shops, but many people don't have local shops that carry such items.

Good luck in your quest, and please let us know what you ended up with.

Shel_B

Shel_B

21 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@ElsieDWhile I found the bay leaves, I've not yet used any, but I can speak to prices.  I paid $3.95 for the package which, when compared to commercial and other "spice shop" prices makes it less expensive than some products based on cost per ounce.  However, the cost for these herbs depends greatly upon where you buy them.  I found Amazon, for example, to be more expensive than my local shops, but many people don't have local shops that carry such items.