• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 hours ago, Neely said:

@liuzhou Do you agree a ‘full’ English breakfast must have a portion of Heinz baked beans? 

Although my breakfast was pretty tasty, it would have been even better with a serving of good old Heinz baked beans imho.

Hmmm. Mr Heinz's beans are certainly not traditional, not having been invented in America until the beginnings of the 20th century then imported. The Full English has been around from the 17th. However, today beans are nearly always included. I rarely make a FEB (nor do most people) but, when I do, I usually include the beans. Talking of non-traditional, eggs were rarely included either until they becamse cheap in the 20th century, yet no none complains about them. Hash browns, however, should be shunned by any self respecting breakfast plate!

For me, the essentials would be back bacon, good pork sausages, black pudding, mushrooms, egg, tomato, toast. In Scotland, where I was partly raised it would also have had Lorne sausage (aka square sausage) and 'fruit pdding'.

I rarely eat FEBs now; only partly because I'm no longer in either England or Scotland. I did once approximate it here though - about 20 years ago. Despite China's love affair with pork, I couldn't source the right bacon. Everything else, I got.

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, Neely said:

@liuzhou Do you agree a ‘full’ English breakfast must have a portion of Heinz baked beans? 

Although my breakfast was pretty tasty, it would have been even better with a serving of good old Heinz baked beans imho.

Hmmm. Mr Heinz's beans are certainly not traditional, not having been invented in America until the beginnings of the 20th century then imported. The Full English has been around from the 17th. However, today beans are nearly always included. I rarely make a FEB (nor do most people) but, when I do, I usually include the beans. Talking of non-traditional, eggs were rarely included either until they becamse cheap in the 20th century, yet no none complains about them. Hash browns, however, should be shunned by any self respecting breakfast plate!

For me, the essentials would be back bacon, good pork sausages, black pudding, egg, tomato, toast. In Scotland, where I was partly raised it would also have had Lorne sausage (aka square sausage) and 'fruit pdding'.

I rarely eat FEBs now; only partly because I'm no longer in either England or Scotland. I did once approximate it here though - about 20 years ago. Despite China's love affair with pork, I couldn't source the right bacon. Everything else, I got.