• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I was reading @pastameshugana chicken pie recipe and thinking how good it sounded. At the same time I was trying to think of a name for it.  All I came up with was Chickherd pie or Flockherd pie while imagining an image of someone trying to herd a flock of chickens.  Suddenly I remembered some left-over turkey that needed to be used soon and got inspired to try a turkey version- without mashed potatoes though.  I made  a roux with butter, flour, salt, pepper, nutmeg and oregano , added some evaporated milk and chicken stock. I melted in some guyer cheese. I cooked in melted butter and oil until soft, some onion, celery, carrot, peas & broccoli. I intended to add mushrooms but forgot to put them on my shopping list.  The ingredients were added to a bread pan along with some turkey and topped with biscuit dough brushed with butter and baked until the biscuits were browned and the casserole was heated through. I was going to use James Beard's rich biscuit dough but chickened out (pun intended) and used refrigerator biscuits instead.

IMG_1865.jpg

IMG_1867.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I was reading @pastameshugana chicken pie recipe and thinking how good it sounded. At the same time I was trying to think of a name for it.  All I came up with was Chickherd pie or Flockherd pie while imagining an image of someone trying to herd a flock of chickens.  Suddenly I remembered some left-over turkey that needed to be used soon and got inspired to try a turkey version .  I made  a roux with butter, flour, salt, pepper, nutmeg and oregano , added some evaporated milk and chicken stock. I melted in some guyer cheese. I cooked in melted butter and oil until soft, some onion, celery, carrot, peas & broccoli. I intended to add mushrooms but forgot to put them on my shopping list.  The ingredients were added to a bread pan along with some turkey and topped with biscuit dough brushed with butter and baked until the biscuits were browned and the casserole was heated through. I was going to use James Beard's rich biscuit dough but chickened out (pun intended) and used refrigerator biscuits instead.

IMG_1865.jpg

IMG_1867.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I was reading @pastameshugana chicken pie recipe and thinking how good it sounded. At the same time I was trying to think of a name for it.  All I came up with was Chickherd pie or Flockherd pie while imagining an image of someone trying to herd a flock of chickens.  Suddenly I remembered some left-over turkey that needed to be used soon and got inspired to try a turkey version .  I made  a roux with butter, flour, salt, pepper, nutmeg and oregano , added some evaporated milk and chicken stock. I melted in some guyer cheese. I cooked in melted butter and oil until soft, some onion, celery, carrot, peas & broccoli. I intended to add mushrooms but forgot to put them on my shopping list.  The ingredients were added to a bread pan and topped with biscuit dough brushed with butter and baked until the biscuits were browned and the casserole was heated through. I was going to use James Beard's rich biscuit dough but chickened out (pun intended) and used refrigerator biscuits instead.

IMG_1865.jpg

IMG_1867.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I was reading @pastameshugana chicken pie recipe and thinking how good it sounded. At the same time I was trying to think of a name for it.  All I came up with was Chickherd pie or Flockherd pie while imagining an image of someone trying to herd a flock of chickens.  Suddenly I remembered some left-over turkey that needed to be used soon and got inspired to try a turkey version .  I made  a roux with butter, flour, salt, pepper, nutmeg and oregano , added some evaporated milk and chicken stock. I melted in some guyer cheese. I cooked in melted butter and oil until soft, some onion, celery, carrot, peas & broccoli. I intended to add mushrooms but forgot to put them on my shopping list.  The ingredients were added to a bread pan and topped with biscuit dough brushed with butter and baked until the biscuits were browned and the casserole was heated through. I was going to use James Beard's rich biscuit dough bur chickened out (pun intended) and used refrigerator biscuits instead.

IMG_1865.jpg

IMG_1867.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I was reading @pastameshugana chicken pie recipe and thinking how good it sounded. At the same time I was trying to think of a name for it.  All I came up with was Chickherd pie or Flockherd pie wwhile imagining an image of someone trying to herd a flock of chickens.  Suddenly I remembered some left-over turkey that needed to be used soon and got inspired to try a turkey version .  I made  a roux with butter, flour, salt, pepper, nutmeg and oregano , added some evaporated milk and chicken stock. I melted in some guyer cheese. I cooked in melted butter and oil until soft, some onion, celery, carrot, & broccoli. I intended to add mushrooms but forgot to put them on my shopping list.  The ingredients were added to a bread pan and topped with biscuit dough brushed with butter and baked until the biscuits were browned and the casserole was heated through. I was going to use James Beard's rich biscuit dough bur chickened out (pun intended) and used refrigerator biscuits instead.

IMG_1865.jpg

IMG_1867.jpg