• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Senior Sea Kayaker

Senior Sea Kayaker

47 minutes ago, Darienne said:

47 minutes ago, Darienne said:

and there were so few vegetables available then in grocery stores.  (Was a major fight back when to get Ed to try Romaine.  We were both raised on ice berg lettuce.

Montreal in the 60's. Iceberg lettuce, root vegetables and tomatoes in those old straight cardboard packages with cello tops of 4 tomatoes. Or canned veg.

One saving grace for me was I played baseball in the summer and shinny most of the year with some Italian guys and once in a while their mothers would make food for us. All the families had extensive backyard gardens with vegetables I'd never seen and it goes without saying the food was delicious. 

Senior Sea Kayaker

Senior Sea Kayaker

39 minutes ago, Darienne said:

39 minutes ago, Darienne said:

and there were so few vegetables available then in grocery stores.  (Was a major fight back when to get Ed to try Romaine.  We were both raised on ice berg lettuce.

Montreal in the 60's. Iceberg lettuce, root vegetables and tomatoes in those old straight cardboard packages with cello tops of 4 tomatoes. Or canned veg.

One saving grace for me was I played baseball in the summer and shinny most of the year with some Italian guys and once in a while their mothers would make food for us. All the families had extensive backyard gardens with vegetables I'd never seen and it goes without saying the food was delicious.