• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Panning chocolate issue with "rusty" appearance

ianchanlr

Hello everyone,

I’m having an issue with my panned chocolates. The chocolates appear to be smooth and uniform in color before polishing. However, once polished, the surface is no longer smooth and it has this undesired "cracking" and “rusty” pattern.

For the polish agent, I am using:

Arabic gum in water solution in ratio 3.5 : 6.5, at volume of 0.3% - 0.2% and then 0.1% of the total weight of the batch until it glosses.

For shellac in a liquid solution, its ratio 3:7. at volume around 0.3%, sometimes more.

Around 20kg and more per batch.

The chocolates were left inside the bowl overnight and then glazed in 2nd day. 

Room temperature around 22C (tropical country 😅), relative humidity below 50%, with air conditioning produced cold air at the temperature of 12C~14C blowing directly to the sweets inside the panning machine. RPM is relatively slow, estimated at around 20rpm, due to the dent spots on the appearance, i am concerned increasing the speed might make it worse. Not sure if anyone facing this issue before and what likely is the cause? Also, can it be remedied by putting back to the machine and redo the arabic gum glazing again? Very much appreciate if someone can share some insight. 🙏

Screenshot 2023-04-24 215036.png

Screenshot 2023-04-24 215051.png

Screenshot 2023-04-24 215114.png

Hi

first off I am in total awww that you make your own glazing agents. 
i would not tempt that myself.

- are your dragées perfectly smooth before doing the glazing agent. Bumps or gaps will have a very hard time filling with glaze.

one of the things I tend to do is adding a bit more glazing agent at first to make sure all my dragées are coated properly. It does have an impact further if the dragées do not have an even layer. 
problem happening with cold air is that the humid part doesn’t evaporate too well if it’s very cold air bLowing it.

Gum Arabic just to make sure is perfectly dry as you add the next layer

So mix all that first then bump till fully dry then spin for 10 min ish per layer of glaze. If they are still sticky then the coating « rips off »

at this point I don’t recommend cold air. Just air. Because your a/c air may be blowing moisture back inside.

when you hit the shellac stage (I do 0.2%) absolutely no cold air because the shellac is mixed with alcohol for a quick dissipation. If any moisture is blown in the tumbler then it will make the shellac sticky and keep « ripping » off of getting hit.

i find 18/20c is a good temp. 

what I see (photos are a bit blurry) is that there s not enough drying and spinning on the overall stages.

i m not here often so if it’s easier feel free to message me on Instagram rodneyalleguede 😁

10 hours ago, Alleguede said:

Hi

first off I am in total awww that you make your own glazing agents. 
i would not tempt that myself.

- are your dragées perfectly smooth before doing the glazing agent. Bumps or gaps will have a very hard time filling with glaze.

one of the things I tend to do is adding a bit more glazing agent at first to make sure all my dragées are coated properly. It does have an impact further if the dragées do not have an even layer. 
problem happening with cold air is that the humid part doesn’t evaporate too well if it’s very cold air bLowing it.

Gum Arabic just to make sure is perfectly dry as you add the next layer

So mix all that first then bump till fully dry then spin for 10 min ish per layer of glaze. If they are still sticky then the coating « rips off »

at this point I don’t recommend cold air. Just air. Because your a/c air may be blowing moisture back inside.

when you hit the shellac stage (I do 0.2%) absolutely no cold air because the shellac is mixed with alcohol for a quick dissipation. If any moisture is blown in the tumbler then it will make the shellac sticky and keep « ripping » off of getting hit.

i find 18/20c is a good temp. 

what I see (photos are a bit blurry) is that there s not enough drying and spinning on the overall stages.

i m not here often so if it’s easier feel free to message me on Instagram rodneyalleguede 😁

Thank you so much for the response! Actually, i also prefer not to make the glazing agent myself but having hard time sourcing it here. The chocolate's surface was smooth before applying the glazing. Regarding the moisture, i think you are right, i notice that the chocolate remains sticky for longer than it should be, maybe that's the reason the surface got "ripping" off and therefore causing the uneven and "rusty" surface. I don't have this issue when applying powder finishing. Will try to follow your advice and see how it turned out.