• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

17 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Are they used much in China? I figure maybe the South West - like near Yunnan possibly but anywhere else?  I don't think they're too common in Vietnam either although I think I saw them used a time or two near Saigon but I don't think I ever saw them used in Hanoi or central areas like Hue or Hoi An.

No, not at all in China that I've ever seen. I can get them but they are imported from Thailand usually dried, but very occasionally fresh.

I did see them fresh once in a market in HCMC, Vietnam but don't recall ever eating them there.

liuzhou

liuzhou

14 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Are they used much in China? I figure maybe the South West - like near Yunnan possibly but anywhere else?  I don't think they're too common in Vietnam either although I think I saw them used a time or two near Saigon but I don't think I ever saw them used in Hanoi or central areas like Hue or Hoi An.

No, not at all in China that I've ever seen. I can get them but they are imported from Thailand usually dried, but very ocassionally fresh.

I did see them fresh once in a market in HCMC, Vietnam but don't recall ever eating them there.