• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Susanwusan

Susanwusan

Forgot link

Dipping my toe into the cuisine of the Far East, I've had to look for "kaffir leaves".  I only searched Waitrose's site as that's the nearest supermarket to me and nothing came up for that word search.  Doing a bit more of a search I found "makrut leaves".  An online search ensued to find out if they would be an acceptable substitute, and I found this article.  Out of general interest, what do others around the world call these particular lime leaves, and if they are not called kaffir in Southeast Asia, why do the recipe sites and books seemingly by authors from that part of the world keep calling them kaffir and not makrut?

https://modernfarmer.com/2014/07/getting-rid-k-word/

Susanwusan

Susanwusan

Dipping my toe into the cuisine of the Far East, I've had to look for "kaffir leaves".  I only searched Waitrose's site as that's the nearest supermarket to me and nothing came up for that word search.  Doing a bit more of a search I found "makrut leaves".  An online search ensued to find out if they would be an acceptable substitute, and I found this article.  Out of general interest, what do others around the world call these particular lime leaves, and if they are not called kaffir in Southeast Asia, why do the recipe sites and books seemingly by authors from that part of the world keep calling them kaffir and not makrut?