• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

C. sapidus

C. sapidus

Grilled 5-spice chicken: Marinate the chicken with soy sauce, ginger, garlic, 5-spice powder, turmeric, sugar, and oil. Just before grilling add toasted and ground star anise. I got a little over-enthusiastic with the grill, but I shall blame the 25-50 mph winds. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  :rolleyes:

Vietnamese fried rice: This was interesting - no egg. Stir-fried onion and garlic, add the sauce (fish sauce, sugar, and Sriracha), and then the rice. I subbed Sriracha for the ketchup that the recipe called for. No regrets.

Soy-lemon dipping sauce, with bird chiles, garlic, and sugar, pounded in a mortar and diluted to taste. Recipe called for lime but lemons seemed most in need of using, so . . .

Mrs. C steamed broccoli with garlic, which was tasty.

5-spice_chix_202304.jpg

C. sapidus

C. sapidus

Grilled 5-spice chicken: Marinate the chicken with soy sauce, ginger, garlic, 5-spice powder, turmeric, sugar, and oil. Just before grilling add toasted star anise. I got a little over-enthusiastic with the grill, but I shall blame the 25-50 mph winds. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  :rolleyes:

Vietnamese fried rice: This was interesting - no egg. Stir-fried onion and garlic, add the sauce (fish sauce, sugar, and Sriracha), and then the rice. I subbed Sriracha for the ketchup that the recipe called for. No regrets.

Soy-lemon dipping sauce, with bird chiles, garlic, and sugar, pounded in a mortar and diluted to taste. Recipe called for lime but lemons seemed most in need of using, so . . .

5-spice_chix_202304.jpg