• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I saw a recipe on Facebook that said "Traditional Irish Beef Stew"  I googled that to see if that was really a thing.  The impression I got that Traditional Irish Stew is made with mutton but if it isn't, they tell you what kind of meat is used instead... Sorta like Brandy is always made with grape wine- unless it isn't -and then you have to put the fruit it was made with in front of the word brandy... peach brandy, cherry brandy, etc. I saw a recipe that looked good and decided to make it.  I got the stuff I needed at the store yesterday but only had time to get it ready to go in the slow cooker this morning. The recipe said to only use one cup of beef broth but that didn't come close to covering all the other stuff so I added more. It may have come out more like soup that stew.  While I was doing that , Charlie went to a near-by Mexican grocery store that has a place where you can get ready made food and marinated meat you can take home to cook.  It is always mentioned as a place that has good traditional tacos.  He got some refried beans, fried rice, some sauces, tortillas, some tacos and somechicken legs that I grilled.  We had that yesterday and the stew today. I made some bread to go with it.

sorry for the double post.  I thought this one didn't post.

IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I saw a recipe on Facebook that said "Traditional Irish Beef Stew"  I googled that to see if that was really a thing.  The impression I got that Traditional Irish Stew is made with mutton but if it isn't, they tell you what kind of meat is used instead... Sorta like Brandy is always made with grape wine- unless it isn't -and then you have to put the fruit it was made with in front of the word brandy... peach brandy, cherry brandy, etc. I saw a recipe that looked good and decided to make it.  I got the stuff I needed at the store yesterday but only had time to get it ready to go in the slow cooker this morning. The recipe said to only use one cup of beef broth but that didn't come close to covering all the other stuff so I added more. It may have come out more like soup that stew.  While I was doing that , Charlie went to a near-by Mexican grocery store that has a place where you can get ready made food and marinated meat you can take home to cook.  It is always mentioned as a place that has good traditional tacos.  He got some refried beans, fried rice, some sauces, tortillas, some tacos and somechicken legs that I grilled.  We had that yesterday and the stew today. I made some bread to go with it.

IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg