• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

43 minutes ago, SusieQ said:

I'm curious about how Cantonese say "hún tún" -- is it like "Juan tawn"?

In Cantonese, it is usually transliterated as wan4 tan1, the numbers referring to tones. I'll try to get a Cantonese friend (from Canton (Guangzhou) to record herself saying it, but, in my present state of immobility, it may take a bit of time. There are samples on the internet, but Cantonese has various accents, too, so they vary.

liuzhou

liuzhou

22 minutes ago, SusieQ said:

I'm curious about how Cantonese say "hún tún" -- is it like "Juan tawn"?

In Cantonese, it is usually transliterated as wan4 tan1, the numbers referring to tones. I'll try to get a Cantonese friend to say it and record it, but, in my present state of immobility, it may take a bit of time. There are samples on the internet, but Cantonese has various accents, too, so they vary.