• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

鲜肉大馄饨 (xiān ròu dà hún tun), large pork wontons (in broth). The menu on my app offered a choice of adding chilli oil (or not), the same with scallions and four different wonton fillings: pork, pork and shepherd's purse (Capsella bursa-pastoris), pork and shiitake, or pork and some atrocity consisting of yellow kernels of misery. I chose chilli oil, scallions  and shepherd's purse.

hundun.thumb.jpg.6342814e2f3bf0142d1d2660072a2842.jpg

Apologies for the dreadful image, but I had a bad night, it was early and I was starving. Same excuse for eating them straight from the delivery container rather than putting them in a nicer bowl.

P.S. In 95% of China wontons are known as 馄饨 (hún tún) or, less often, 云吞 (yún tūn) with the letter u pronounced 'oo' in both names - hoon toon and yoon toon. Wonton is from the Cantonese, only spoken by about 5% of people in China, mainly in Guangdong province and neighbouring Hong Kong.

liuzhou

liuzhou

鲜肉大馄饨 (xiān ròu dà hún tun), large pork wontons (in broth). The menu on my app offered a choice of adding chilli oil (or not), the same with scallions and four different wonton fillings: pork, pork and shepherd's purse (Capsella bursa-pastoris), pork and shiitake, or pork and some atrocity consisting of yellow kernels of misery. I chose chilli oil, scallions  and shepherd's purse.

hundun.thumb.jpg.6342814e2f3bf0142d1d2660072a2842.jpg

Apologies for the dreadful image, but I had a bad night, it was early and I was starving. Same excuse for eating them straight from the delivery container rather than putting them in a nicer bowl.

P.S. In 95% of China wontons are known as 馄饨 (hún tún) or, less often, 云饨 (yún tún) with the letter u pronounced 'oo' in both names - hoon toon and yoon toon. Wonton is from the Cantonese, only spoken by about 5% of people in China, mainly in Guangdong province and neighbouring Hong Kong.

liuzhou

liuzhou

鲜肉大馄饨 (xiān ròu dà hún tun), large pork wontons (in broth). The menu on my app offered a choice of adding chilli oil (or not), the same with scallions and four different wonton fillings: pork, pork and shepherd's purse (Capsella bursa-pastoris), pork and shiitake, or pork and some atrocity consisting of yellow kernels of misery. I choose chilli oil, scallions  and shepherd's purse.

hundun.thumb.jpg.9b5207315541cef02d70422de152ecc4.jpg

P.S. In 95% of China wontons are known as 馄饨 (hún tún) or, less often, 云饨 (yún tún) with the letter u pronounced 'oo' in both names - hoon toon and yoon toon. Wonton is from the Cantonese, only spoken by about 5% of people in China, mainly in Guangdong province and neighbouring Hong Kong.

hundun.jpg