• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, Dave the Cook said:

In this part of the world (in the US for sure, but I'm guessing a good bit of the planet that's not east Asia), often in cookbooks or recipes, dry sherry is often suggested as a reasonable substitute if Shaoxing wine is not available. So, the question I can't believe no one has asked yet: is it?

I've been waiting for the question, too!

In my opinion, dry sherry is a poor substitute but can't think of a better one other than other Chinese cooking wines - 料酒 (liào jiǔ – literally, ‘ingredient wine’).

liuzhou

liuzhou

In this part of the world (in the US for sure, but I'm guessing a good bit of the planet that's not east Asia), often in cookbooks or recipes, dry sherry is often suggested as a reasonable substitute if Shaoxing wine is not available. So, the question I can't believe no one has asked yet: is it?

In my opinion, dry sherry is a poor substitute but can't think of a better one other than other Chinese cooking wines - 料酒 (liào jiǔ – literally, ‘ingredient wine’).

liuzhou

liuzhou

I've been waiting for the question,l, too!

liuzhou

liuzhou

In my opinion, dry sherry is a poor substitute but can't think of a better one other than other Chinese cooking wines - 料酒 (liào jiǔ – literally, ‘ingredient wine’.

liuzhou

liuzhou

In my opinion, dry sherry is a poor substitute but can't think of a better one other than other Chinese cooking wines - 料酒.

liuzhou

liuzhou

In my opinion, dry sherry is a poor substitute but can't think of a better one other than other Chinese cooking wines - 料酒.

liuzhou

liuzhou

liuzhou

liuzhou

liuzhou

liuzhou

In my opinion, dry sherry is a poor substitute but can't think of a better one other than other Chinese wines.

liuzhou

liuzhou

In my opinion, dry sherry is a poor substitute but can't think of a better one.