• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, heylow said:

I am so impressed with All Under Heaven and am facinated with your involvement! Fuchsia Dunlop and Carolyn Phillips have done so much to reveal the cooking of China to English speakers

Carolyn is a member here @Carolyn Phillips, but hasn't been active for over four years. She knew me from here and contacted me privately when she was researching her book, to ask some questions about  Guangxi cuisine. We had a few conversations then and have done since. The book is a good introduction, but with only a half dozen or so dishes from each of 35 cuisines, is necessarily limited.

1 hour ago, heylow said:

I've seen several of your posts that are wonderfully detailed and illuminating as well. 

Thank you!

1 hour ago, heylow said:

It seems that one will always have a very limited understanding of Chinese cuisine, as long as you are limited to reading about it in English. Are there Chinese language cookbooks you would recommend?

I would say more that to fully understand Chinese cuisine (no one ever will) you have to eat it in China. Chinese language cookbooks are very different from western cookbooks. They often assume a lot of prior knowledge and suggest things like

"Add the correct amount of ..."
"Cook until cooked"
"Serve in the usual way"

etc.

I have a few, but I couldn't really recommend any of them. Several of my friends were amazed by Fuchsia's Sichuan book. It has been translated into Chinese and they have all bought it!

liuzhou

liuzhou

36 minutes ago, heylow said:

I am so impressed with All Under Heaven and am facinated with your involvement! Fuchsia Dunlop and Carolyn Phillips have done so much to reveal the cooking of China to English speakers

Carolyn is a member here @Carolyn Phillips, but hasn't been active for over four years. She knew me from here and contacted me when she was researching her book. We had a few conversations then and since. The book is a good introduction, but with only a half dozen or so dishes from each cuisine, is necessarily limited.

I've seen several of your posts that are wonderfully detailed and illuminating as well. 

Thank you!

It seems that one will always have a very limited understanding of Chinese cuisine, as long as you are limited to reading about it in English. Are there Chinese language cookbooks you would recommend?

I would say more that to fully understand Chinese cuisine (no one ever will) you have to eat it in China. Chinese language cookbooks are very different from western cookbooks. They often assume a lot of prior knowledge and suggest things like

"Cook until cooked"
"Serve in the usual way"

etc.

I have a few, but I couldn't really recommend any of them. Several of my friends were amazed by Fuchsia's Sichuan book. It has been translated into Chinese and they have all bought it!

liuzhou

liuzhou

22 minutes ago, heylow said:

Carolyn is a member here @Carolyn Phillips, but hasn't been active for over four years. She knew me from here and contacted me when she was researching her book. We had a few conversations then and since. The book is a good introduction, but with only a half dozen or so dishes from each cuisine is necessarily limited.

Thank you!

"Cook until cooked"
"Serve in the usual way"

etc.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Carolyn is a member here @Carolyn Phillips, but hasn't been active for over four years. She knew me from here and contacted me when she was researching her book. We had a few conversations then and since. The book is a good introduction, but with only a half dozen or so dishes from each cuisine is necessarily limited.

Thank you!

"Cook until cooked"
"Serve in the usual way"

etc.

liuzhou

liuzhou

7 minutes ago, heylow said:

13 minutes ago, heylow said:

Thank you!

14 minutes ago, heylow said:

I would say more that to fully understand Chinese cuisine (no one ever will) you have to eat it in China. Chinese language cookbooks are very different from weestern cookbooks. They often assume a lot of prior knowledge and suggest things like

"Cook until cooked"
"Serve in the usual way"

etc.