• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

A friend of mine in New Jersey gave me this sauce recipe a few years ago. I thought it tasted like a chili dog I had a few times when I was 8 or 9. There was a street vendor guy down the block from our church a few times one summer.  I tried to do a copy of the way he served them with the bun toasted in butter and with the middle cut out, not just a slit down the middle.  I think it turned out well.  Charlie said it was the best chili dog he'd ever had.  Jimmy called it a Greek style sauce. Another friend from New Jersey said in her  part of the state, it was sold bottled as Texas Weiner Sauce but that it was mostly sold in Greek Delis.  PS Jimmy says it is also good on top of hamburgers.

image-3.jpeg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

A friend of mine in New Jersey gave me this sauce recipe a few years ago. I thought it tasted like a chili dog I had a few times when I was 8 or 9. There was a street vendor guy down the block from our church a few times one summer.  I tried to do a copy of the way he served them with the bun toasted in butter and with the middle cut out, not just a slit down the middle.  I think it turned out well.  Charlie said it was the best chili dog he'd ever had.  Jimmy called it a Greek style sauce. Another friend from New Jersey said in her  part of the state, it was sold bottled as Texas Weiner Sauce but that it was mostly sold in Greek Delis.

image-3.jpeg