• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

I had dinner this week at a brand new Ignacio Mattos restaurant, just opened in our neighborhood, called Corner Bar.

The food we had was pretty good. I was excited to see one of my favorite birds on the menu, the Sasso chicken from Lapera Bros. poultry, where I've been known to buy a few live birds every now and then. Well, they were alive when they weighed them, but not by the time I got them home.

image.thumb.jpeg.12e9957fe317513b848c3193103d3547.jpeg

Nice prep, crispy skin, juicy chicken, sauce slightly cloying (?), but you know, it's the first or second week, so that can be understood.  Significant Eater had a pasta dish, overdressed for days, but what else is new (I've never been a huge fan of his pasta dishes, having had some quite forgettable ones at Altro Paradiso). French fries - work on them! Dessert was the mousse, and good...

image.thumb.jpeg.b5c6bac86828a5fc684d12e88d5a99fe.jpeg

But how could it not be?

I'm always interested as new places open in my neighborhood.  I'm always wondering, can it become a regular for us?  I doubt this place will be able to fit that bill; it ain't cheap (and my guess is these opening prices will go up - I get it, I understand, but it's already $21 for a Caesar!), it's going to be packed to the gills, I'm pretty sure. And if the table next to me insists on wearing shorts at dinner, while not even removing their stupid baseball caps, I don't know that the crowd fits our bill either.  So - there goes the neighborhood, but hopefully only for a year or two!

weinoo

weinoo

As mentioned over in another topic, I had dinner at a brand new Ignacio Mattos restaurant, just opened in our neighborhood, called Corner Bar.

The food we had was pretty good. I was excited to see one of my favorite birds on the menu, the Sasso chicken from Lapera Bros. poultry, where I've been known to buy a few live birds every now and then. Well, they were alive when they weighed them, but not by the time I got them home.

Nice prep, crispy skin, juicy chicken, sauce slightly cloying (?), but you know, it's the first or second week, so that can be understood.  Significant Eater had a pasta dish, overdressed for days, but what else is new (I've never been a huge fan of his pasta dishes, having had some quite forgettable ones at Altro Paradiso). French fries - work on them! Dessert was the mousse, and good...

But how could it not be?

I'm always interested as new places open in my neighborhood.  I'm always wondering, can it become a regular for us?  I doubt this place will be able to fit that bill; it ain't cheap (and my guess is these opening prices will go up - I get it, I understand, but it's already $21 for a Caesar!), it's going to be packed to the gills, I'm pretty sure. And if the table next to me insists on wearing shorts at dinner, while not even removing their stupid baseball caps, I don't know that the crowd fits our bill either.  So - there goes the neighborhood, but hopefully only for a year or two!

weinoo

weinoo

As mentioned over in another topic, I had dinner at a brand new Ignacio Mattos restaurant, just opened in our neighborhood, called Corner Bar.

The food we had was pretty good. I was excited to see one of my favorite birds on the menu, the Sasso chicken from Lapera Bros. poultry, where I've been know to buy a few live birds every now and then. Well, they were alive when they weighed them, but not by the time I got them home.

But how could it not be?