• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

spelling

1 hour ago, FauxPas said:

This sounds so lovely and the resulting meal looks so delicious. Significant Eater is a lucky woman.  🙂

I did want to ask you about the Muir Glen tomatoes though. I hate the use of calcium chloride in tomatoes and I can't find a Muir Glen product without it, not even the whole tomatoes. I know you used an immersion blender for your braising liquid so it probably wasn't a real issue there, but there is something about the texture of tomatoes canned with calcium chloride that I just can't stand. They taste rubbery to me. Is that just me? Do all the Muir Glen tomatoes use calcium chloride? I kinda get it for diced tomatoes as sometimes people may want to have the tomato pieces stay firm even after cooking (not me, usually) but I really don't get the need for it in whole tomatoes. Do other folks feel the same way? 

Yes.

For canned tomatoes I buy La Valle D.O.P. San Marzano -- no added calcium.

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

30 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

This sounds so lovely and the resulting meal looks so delicious. Significant Eater is a lucky woman.  🙂

I did want to ask you about the Muir Glen tomatoes though. I hate the use of calcium chloride in tomatoes and I can't find a Muir Glen product without it, not even the whole tomatoes. I know you used an immersion blender for your braising liquid so it probably wasn't a real issue there, but there is something about the texture of tomatoes canned with calcium chloride that I just can't stand. They taste rubbery to me. Is that just me? Do all the Muir Glen tomatoes use calcium chloride? I kinda get it for diced tomatoes as sometimes people may want to have the tomato pieces stay firm even after cooking (not me, usually) but I really don't get the need for it in whole tomatoes. Do other folks feel the same way? 

Yes.

For canned tomatoes I buy La Valle D.O.P. San Marano -- no added calcium.