• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

CookBot

CookBot

16 hours ago, weinoo said:

I went a little crazy ordering some rice and cowpeas from this place...

Three different rices...and cowpeas, cause I don't have enough dried legumes in the pantry.

So I made Hoppin' John. And had some smothered cabbage on the side. And it was the least photogenic meal made...maybe ever. But man it was tasty.

I can vouch for the quality of Carolina Plantation rices.  Both the Carolina Gold and the Aromatic (basmati style) are delicious, and can be found in better supermarkets in the Carolinas.   Well worth stocking up on.

Hoppin' John and smothered cabbage:  truly Ugly-Delicious.

12 hours ago, Ann_T said:
Chicken Perigord (a Lucy Waverman recipe). I have been making this dish for over 30 years.

with the skin left on and a mushroom duxelles is stuffed under the skin.

Man, I haven't seen that lovely dish in a loooong time.   In the early '80s I used to order it at a wonderful restaurant in San Francisco called Square One.

CookBot

CookBot

16 hours ago, weinoo said:

I went a little crazy ordering some rice and cowpeas from this place...

Three different rices...and cowpeas, cause I don't have enough dried legumes in the pantry.

So I made Hoppin' John. And had some smothered cabbage on the side. And it was the least photogenic meal made...maybe ever. But man it was tasty.

I can vouch for the quality of Carolina Plantation rices.  Both the Carolina Gold and the Aromatic (basmati style) are delicious, and can be found in better supermarkets in the Carolinas. 

Hoppin' John and smothered cabbage:  truly Ugly-Delicious.

11 hours ago, Ann_T said:
Chicken Perigord (a Lucy Waverman recipe). I have been making this dish for over 30 years.

with the skin left on and a mushroom duxelles is stuffed under the skin.

Man, I haven't seen that lovely dish in a loooong time.   In the early '80s I used to order it at a wonderful restaurant in San Francisco called Square One.