• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow

@weinooThe very few times I have had a bouilliabaisse the rouille was served on the side. My mother's way of eating it was to spread the rouille on a piece of toast and float it. I always thought a bouillabaisse was defined especially by the use of saffron, so the flavor was different than Zuppa di Pesce or Cioppino, but that you could enjoy it sans rouille if you chose. Whatever, it looks scrumptious.

Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow

The very few times I have had a bouilliabaisse the rouille was served on the side. My mother's way of eating it was to spread the rouille on a piece of toast and float it. I always thought a bouillabaisse was defined by the use of saffron, so the flavor was different than Zuppa di Pesce or Cioppino, but that you could enjoy it sans rouille if you chose.